Matthew Perry -- I'm 'Going Away' to Focus On Sobriety

5/12/2011 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Matthew Perry tells TMZ he's making plans to "go away for a month to focus on [his] sobriety" ... as a proactive measure in his battle with substance abuse.

Matthew Perry

The "Friends" star issued a statement to TMZ ... saying, "I’m making plans to go away for a month to focus on my sobriety and to continue my life in recovery. Please enjoy making fun of me on the world wide web.”

We're told Perry has not suffered any sort of relapse -- but has planned the trip as a proactive measure.

Perry has struggled with substance abuse in the past -- checking into rehab for a prescription pill addiction in 1997 and again in 2001.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

chefadam

Good Job Mate! Well Done!

sassy

I hope all goes well for him and he really is going back for proactive measures. Good for him getting in front of this.

Carl

If it really is proactive then I say more power to him. If he relapsed then I wish him luck but will be fairly skeptical of him in the future.

Kristin

Celebrity status or average Joe, addiction can control us all. I send him love and the best wishes for his on-going battle. Always one of my favorite charactors, hands down. God's speed kid!

brett

Well it is not like he has done anything overtly stupid for us to make fun of, so that was a little weird comment. Otherwise I wish him the best, especially if it is truly proactive, as my wife and I have enjoyed him on Friends, Studio 60, and Mr. Sunshine.

Home Skillet

Good for him ... sounds like he just needs a tune-up.

bridget

I know I am no one in the life of Matthew Perry, but hey, a person has to know their limitations and he must know. Take care of yourself so you can continue to entertain!

Anon

Matthew Perry always looks miserable. Is it too much money? Boredom? I can't remember a picture of him looking genuinely happy and laughing outside of an acting role.

TheFullMonte

Good job Matthew. Takes a man to admit and work on his issues. We all have them.

God-Of-Lyf

All the best to one of the last truly stand up guy actors left. Friends has always been one of our top three sitcoms of all time. I give him props for keeping his life in check! And if he stars in any future projects, I'm sure we will be on the couch in anticipation!!!

Scrum

A good defense is a strong offense. Well played Mr. Perry!

SSinOC

Go away? What's he been doing anyway? Why not just sneak away unnoticed? Not a big deal if they find out either way. You don't just go into rehab unless you've slipped. Maybe he's got some movie role coming up and he needs to clean up his act, again?

Kathy

I guess millions of dollars still isn't enough for these people--are they satisfied with anything? Why drugs when they know the end result?

tom dolak

ah, someone managing his condition responsibly! i like it.

Grumpinmcpunkkin

At least he knows when he is at the point of needing to step back and take care of himself, instead of getting over whelmed and falling back on his addictions.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments