« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Macho Man Randy Savage Dies In Car Accident

5/20/2011 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Macho Man Randy Savage -- one of the greatest wrestlers of all-time -- died today in a car accident in Seminole, Florida ... TMZ has learned.

Randy Savage Car Accident Dead

TMZ spoke with Randy's brother, Lanny Poffo, who tells us the wrestling legend suffered a heart attack while he was behind the wheel around 9:25 AM ... and lost control of his vehicle.

Earlier this month, Savage celebrated his 1-year anniversary with his new wife Lynn.

Savage was 58.

Macho Man began wrestling in the WWF in 1985 and became a superstar with his trademark catchphrase "Ooooooh Yeaahhhhh." Savage was so popular, he became the spokesperson for Slim Jim in the mid '90s ... and became virtually synonymous with the brand.

UPDATE: Florida Highway Patrol tells TMZ ... Savage was driving his 2009 Jeep Wrangler when he veered across a concrete median ... through oncoming traffic ... and "collided head-on with a tree."

Savage was transported to Largo Medical center, where he died from his injuries.

Savage's wife was a passenger in the vehicle during the collision -- but survived with "minor injuries." She was transported to a different local hospital where she was treated.

0520_randy_savage_wife_lynne_payne_getty_swipe_2

According to officials, Randy and Lynn were both wearing their seatbelts at the time of the accident.

Cops say alcohol was NOT a factor.

An investigation into the accident is underway.

Randy Savage

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Diana Lipscomb

R.I.P. YOU ARE TRULY GOING TO BE MISSED.

Diana Lipscomb

R.I.P. YOU ARE GOING TO BE TRULY MISSED.

Jasmyne Bynes

wow the greatest wrestler in the world died in a car accident at age 58 this is so verl sad!:(

kelly

randy savage was the main reason i loved wrestling never miss it then r now .. he will be missed

maary patton

rip randy savage may god shine his light on you forever you will be missed love allways

Cattouse

I Love You LiL Brother, You'll be in my Heart and on my Mind forever. You were truely one of my Hero. safe Travels, Peace and Love RANDY..,

Jay

SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM!!!! TEAR INTO A TREE!!!!

chooch

I grew up watching wrestling, back when it was the WWF. Randy Savage was one of my favorites. I remember watching the "Match Made in Heaven" between Macho Man and Elizabeth at Wrestlemania. RIP "Macho Man". Ohhhh Yeahhhh!!!

Manuel Rivera

we will miss you oooooooooooo yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

jeff

very sad to here of his passing great entertainer rip

VONSTER

Oh man !Rip Randy you will be missed.I have three sons who all loved watching you over the years.God bless your family and help them heal swiftly.My condolences to the family of one of the best wrestling entertains of all time.

kaykooky

my heart goes out to his wife and family.
my you rest in peace macho man in that big ring in the sky.

Majestik

Shame on you, WWE. You should've paid a huge tribute to that shinning star.

Just read the stats from Wrestlemania VII, they've lost 25 % of the card that day.

Wrestling will take over Heaven, have fun guys.

SWOESTA

R.I.P MACHO MAN! one of my favorites wrestlers

Ramona

A good man who will be missed

Previous 15 Comments | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments