« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Macho Man Randy Savage Dies In Car Accident

5/20/2011 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Macho Man Randy Savage -- one of the greatest wrestlers of all-time -- died today in a car accident in Seminole, Florida ... TMZ has learned.

Randy Savage Car Accident Dead

TMZ spoke with Randy's brother, Lanny Poffo, who tells us the wrestling legend suffered a heart attack while he was behind the wheel around 9:25 AM ... and lost control of his vehicle.

Earlier this month, Savage celebrated his 1-year anniversary with his new wife Lynn.

Savage was 58.

Macho Man began wrestling in the WWF in 1985 and became a superstar with his trademark catchphrase "Ooooooh Yeaahhhhh." Savage was so popular, he became the spokesperson for Slim Jim in the mid '90s ... and became virtually synonymous with the brand.

UPDATE: Florida Highway Patrol tells TMZ ... Savage was driving his 2009 Jeep Wrangler when he veered across a concrete median ... through oncoming traffic ... and "collided head-on with a tree."

Savage was transported to Largo Medical center, where he died from his injuries.

Savage's wife was a passenger in the vehicle during the collision -- but survived with "minor injuries." She was transported to a different local hospital where she was treated.

0520_randy_savage_wife_lynne_payne_getty_swipe_2

According to officials, Randy and Lynn were both wearing their seatbelts at the time of the accident.

Cops say alcohol was NOT a factor.

An investigation into the accident is underway.

Randy Savage

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

elena

Since, I'm not a wrestling fan, never heard of Randy Savage. However, it is sad that he lost his life after being married to his new wife for only a year.

Carrie

Randy will truely be missed and although him and miss lynn have a love only an angel could replace I am happy knowing miss elizabeth is up there guiding him through the pearly gate and Lynn with all my deepest sympathy I know on your day you and randy will be together and he will guide you as miss elizabeth is doing for him. God bless you Lynn. Take care of your self and remember this last good year of being his honored wife. I can remember as a teen ager wishing he would have pulled me in the ring the day he did elizabeth. So I hope you feel me praying for you and know god is with you. ALWAYS

Olu uk

what a loss may your soul rest in perfect peace a true legend or wwwe

chantz

hey

James

This is why there is no rapture. http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/rapturemachoman.jpg Thank you Macho Man! He died the day before it.

Koen

Nooohhh =(
He died on my birthday
You are missed =(

TANNER

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAA IM GONNA MISS U RANDY

bill

we miss you already

Evil

Whacha gonna do when your heart goes out on you? OOOOOOh YEAH

john

it was Ricardo Rodriguez driving

James

This really sucks I liked him a lot...he was a cool guy....I was lucky to meet him in 2005 at KTLA And he was super nice man just a regular guy...RIP my man.

joseph raymond schleifer

the macho man was one of my favorite wrestlers he will be greatly missed he was a legend rip macho man randy savage u were the man who made me have a hero u were my hero i really looked forward to watch wrestling when u would go oh yeah

Wendie

Ohhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhh RIP Macho always was and will be my fav xx

wphill1954

I personally thought he was a great guy and wrestler and am sorry to hear of his tradgic accident

Lucas

Very sad, I'm from Brazil and met Randy Savage in Spider Man (as Bone Saw) die an superstar icon. So sad.
bye

Previous 15 Comments | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments