'Grease' Star Jeff Conaway -- Dead at 60

5/27/2011 11:13 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Grease" star Jeff Conaway has died today ... several weeks after he was found unconscious in his L.A. area home ... TMZ has confirmed with the actor's family.

Jeff Conaway Dead

Conaway -- a notorious substance abuser -- had reportedly fallen into a coma after suffering an overdose earlier this month ... and doctors were not able to revive him.

Jeff's inner struggles became public when he appeared on "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew" in 2008 and admitted to being addicted to cocaine, alcohol and painkillers.

Conaway -- who played Kenickie during the 1978 film "Grease" -- was 60 years old.

0526_jeff_conaway_footer_v2

Liz_F

RIP Kinicki. That is and will always be my fav movie of all time. When I saw Jeff on CRehab it broke my heart to see how his inner demons have plagued him since his Grease/Taxi days. I had always hoped that he would recover but his body had other plans. He is def in a better place now and can finally be at peace. Very sad.

Alisa

By the time Jeff even met Dr. Drew he was in late stage addiction and a crippled mess both physical and emotional. Dr. Drew tried to help this poor soul and gave him his final tv appearances. I hope that Jeffs stints on Dr. Drew can be used to encourage those who are still in denial over their addictions. As for Jeff , he participated willingly and was just too far downtrodden to change. Not Drews fault at all. Drew and Jeff may have helped more addicts then we can imagine. Godspeed Jeff.

Bubbish

Thank You, Jeff, for the years of TV and movie memories you gave us. May you be at peace now. You fought the good fight. Condolences to his family and friends.

Marty G

Jeff was a very fine actor. He had a truly magnetic personality and added much to any production he took part in. Although he is most famous for Grease or Taxi, I think his very best work was on Babylon 5 with his excellent portrayal of Security Officer and then Security Chief Zack Allen.
He really brought a LOT to that show and I have enjoyed his performances for years and I am sure for many years to come. GOD BLESS YOU JEFF !

Mr, Know it All

He didn't die today, he died 24 hours ago... it was reported in almost every news outlet yesterday.

Thanks for the "Breaking News" TMZ.

GREG FAMILYGUY

I REMEMBER THAT TAXI EPISODE

Shane D.

This guy was super hot and cool in Grease. RIP

me

SCORE ANOTHER ONE FOR DR. DREW!!!! HOORAY!!!

Windarra

RIP actor from iconic American film. The first week I came to America, my family and I went to see Grease in Albany, CA. This was the first time I saw Conoway and Travolta and Olivia Newton John on the big screen and that moment I first saw them singing "Tell me more" is forever etched in my memory.

Stefanie Garcia

May god be with his family at this tragic moment. He was a wonderful in grease. May he R.I.P at least he is in peace..

Whatsgoingon

A hickie from Kenickie is like a Hallmark Card. RIP

sammy1

Peace at last. May he rest in peace. :)

cocopuff56

**** Face-Your name says it all. Who in heavens name finds happiness in the death of a very tortured, addicted man? You need to look deep inside of yourself and pray you never have to face the issues of addiction in yourself or any of your loved ones. I think you are an example of what is truly wrong in this world-a world void of compassion.

Magickster

He was cool as Knicke, before there was cool. The ultimate school bad boy who girls drooled over..Who hasn't wanted one of them.

At least his demons can't bother him anymore. Peace at last..

NICSMOM

HE HAD A LOT OF CHANCES TO GET SOBER HE MADE THE CHOICE NOT TO BE...AND ALWAYS WITH THE EXCUSE THAT IF HE IS NOT OUT OF HIS TREE HE IS IN PAIN!!! ALSO TIRED OF PEOPLE BLAMEING THE GIRL!! PLEASE HE WAS A GR0WN ASS MAN..HE MADE HIS CHOICES...SHE DID NOT SHOVE IT IN HIS MOUTH.....HE WAS AN ASS TO HER NOW I HOPE SHE BLOWS WHATEVER IF ANYTHING OF HIS IS LEFT....!!!