« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NFL Legend Warrick Dunn -- I'm No Gun Runner!

5/27/2011 11:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Former Atlanta Falcons running back Warrick Dunn says he feels "violated" -- after cops pulled him over outside ATL and told him he had the characteristics of someone "transporting drugs and guns."

0527_warrick_dunn_GETTY_BN

36-year-old Dunn says cops told him they pulled him over because his tinted windows were "too dark" ... but Dunn insinuates he was racially profiled.

During the stop, Dunn -- who is black -- says 4 white officers targeted him with "a lot of personal questions" and told him "I had the characteristics of people transporting drugs & guns."

Dunn says the cops searched his car and gave him a warning for the tint.

After the incident, the 3-time Pro Bowler went to his Facebook page and said, "Felt violated and I've had my car since '08, nvr been pulled ovr for tint. Taken back bc I think the reasoning was bad. Ruined my day but not my spirit."

UPDATE: Dunn's rep tells us Warrick was frustrated after the incident -- and after cops explained that he was traveling through a high-crime area ... he understood the officers were just trying to do their job.

Warrick, through his rep, tells TMZ ... "As the son of a hard working police officer, I understand the stress that police officers are under."

Dunn adds, "The real lesson in all this is that Twitter is a powerful tool but what happened to me is the same thing that  happens to a lot of people every day. I’ll take care of it through the appropriate channels just like everyone else has to."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

elena

Ignore the negative comments on TMZ. I used to work with your mom (B. Smothers) at BR City Court and she was a wonderful police officer, and would be very proud of the great things you have done for others (building houses for single moms and their children, among other things).

WTMZF!

Hmmm...a black man in a pimp-tint SUV, middle of the night, in the projects, no doubt bumpin to 'COP-Killer' or some other ignorant crap. Is it profiling or an educated guess?

MsRita

I GUESS OK FOR JEWISH PEOPLE SO YOU CRY ME A RIVER WHEN YOU CALL EVERYONE OUT. KOSHER IS A RABBI BLESSING ONE PALLET OF A PRODUCT. SO WHO REALLY CRYING A RIVER ALL THE DAMN TIME. YEA HIS WINDOWS WERE DARK AND THAT IS CAUSE FOR THE POLICE TO PULL HIM OVER. HIS FATHER IS A POLICE OFFICER IS GUESS HE'S IS BLACK ALSO. I WATCH WOMEN CLUCHING THEIR PURSES WHEN THEY LOOK AT MY HUSBAND. SO I CLUCH MY PURSE WHEN A WHITE MAN GETS ON A ELEVATOR. EQUAL RACISM FOR ALL AMERICANS.

haldrich

he's not a legend, he was just an average football player at best

Will

When he played for Tampa Bay he was an exemplary citizen helping single mothers be first time homeowners, he helped them get the entire home furnished with brand new appliances and everything, it is a shame some posters here criticize him for defending his civil rights, I have been targeted by police like that for the simple fact that I was driving and it is very unpleasant to have four back up units pull behind you like you are some kind of crazed maniac for no apparent reason. Those idiots need to be reprimanded for racial profiling and using tinted windows as an excuse for pulling people over.

DR

Why does everyone play the race card? I am white and drive a tiny car with tinted windows and before I could get my car inspected I had to have the tint removed. I had no idea the tint was too dark. It was illegal, plain and simple.

Brent Jorgensen

Here's a newsflash.......the word "race card" is now thrown out any time a man or woman of color claim they perhaps had their rights violated due to the color of their skin. Behind all the political correctness & all the media frenzy of TV commercials, shows & movies all showing blacks and whites just having a grand time together, it masks the very real fact that racism still exists. The unfortunate part is that the very political correctness that our "leaders" fought simply pushes racism moreso behind closed doors.

Brad C

Yes his mother was killed in the line of duty. So he of all people should have more respect for police officers trying to clean the streets of s***. If he wants to be mad at anyone he should be mad at the thug punks in jail and on the streets. They are the reason you got pulled over. Police officers are just doing their jobs trying to keep the streets safe. To everyone saying it is because he is black, take a look at how simple minded people have glamourized the "thug life" mentality and then look at the amount of blacks in prison. Any correlation?

Tina

I'm a huge fan of Warrick Dunn. He is a decent man with an amazing heart. Does a lot of charity work for the people of Tampa and Atlanta. I don't think that he is pulling the "race card" for nothing. Let's be real...

MsRita

Diesel

I'm sorry I actually have to write this for some of the retarded bloggers... His windshield is not tinted so it is possible for the cops tho see the color of his skin prior to pulling him over. Its sad that some of you are so blind to the injustice that goes on everyday in America. Racial profiling is real people.

Lisa

Warrick said he felt "violated" but after the dust cleared and he got more info - he realized the framework of why he was pulled over. I don't see how he pulled the race card and he never used the word "profiled" that I have seen. The media has - but he was hasn't. It does seem excessive to have that many officers on the scene initially but then, if he was driving through a tough area - well it adds up. Which is what he said. Dunn is a stand up guy with tremendous credibility so there is no reason to doubt him.

mattyice318

Do people also not realize that Warrick is the son of a hard working police officer....who was shot and killed years ago?
His organization has single-handedly put over 100 single mothers into houses. Warrick Dunn is a great man, and the fact that he was profiled is unacceptable in todays world.

Simone

Lets look at the FACTS ONLY!!!!

Dunn was driving an ILLEGALLY modified car, that is a FACT.

The cops LEGALLY pulled him over for this, that is a FACT.

The cops asked a few questions and then sent him on the way with just a WARNING, that is a FACT.

So how was he racially profiled? If the cops had so much hate for a black man why did they NOT WRITE HIM A TICKET?

These are all FACTS. Dunn's irresponsible statement that he was profiled is NOT A FACT.

Steve Bush

I am honored to have known Warrick Dunn for the past 4 years. He is one of the finest people I've ever met. He is also one of the top running backs in the history of the NFL, less than 300 yards behind O.J. Simpson in his career. He is also a minority owner of the Atlanta Falcons. And he does more for others than anyone I know. Yes, to me, he's a legend.