Diabetes Group to Steve-O: Don't Hate on Meat!

6/1/2011 3:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The American Diabetes Association wants to teach Steve-O a lesson ... after he BOYCOTTED a diabetes benefit for serving meat -- telling TMZ, eating animal flesh isn't necessarily bad for diabetics.

0531_ada_steve_o_ex_tmz

As we previously reported, Steve-O walked out on an ADA benefit when he found out meat was on the menu -- claiming serving meat at a diabetes fundraiser is "like serving alcohol at an AA meeting."

But a rep for the ADA tells us, there is no rule that you can’t eat meat if you have diabetes -- every person is different, and should be on a meal plan that works best for them.

0531_steveo_boycott_mini_vid_launchThat said, the ADA still welcomes Steve-O at their events with open arms -- telling us, "The doors are always open."

Me

toaddy about an hour ago I do not have a problem with his stance if it is for vegetarian cir***stances. However, it is misinformation for diabetics,alcoholics and everyone else to state that serving meat at a ADA function is the same as giving alcohol to alcoholics. Cupcakes and candy maybe, but lean protein?????

There are enough jackass type people out there who would probably listen to a celebrity over a nutritionist and their doctor.Diabetics need protein to stabilize their sugar levels. He needs to retract or clarify his statement.
___________________________

Where did it say they served lean protein? You should email TMZ and let them know so they can include it in their article.

just sayin

My father has type 1 diabetes, where he is insulin dependent... born that way. It has nothing to do with his diet. His diet is incredibly restrictive and meat is one of the things he can eat without affecting his numbers. Maybe if Steve-o already had an incredibly restrictive diet before he became a vegetarian he wouldn't have this holier than thou attitude about what others ate.

Gina

c

Don't invite that jack ass back!! You can get a MUCH better celebrity to help out with a fundraiser, I'm sure. Not some moron who somehow thinks meat affects diabetes. Here's a tip for the peabrain: SUGAR affects diabetes so the only way it would be like serving alcohol at an AA fundraiser is if they had served cake and ice cream for dinner. Maybe do a little research next time if you're supposedly going to support a cause. Unless you think there's sugar in meat (which you're so stupid you probably do).

Olivia Rose

People, eating meat can CAUSE Diabetes! Please go see the film Forks Over Knives and you will understand. Meat is high in cholestoral and of course, animal protein, and people who eat diets high in meat will undoubtedly end up with Diabetes, Heart Disease and other degenerative diseases. Steve-O obviously knows his stuff. The people commenting here are ingnorant and just want to mock him.

kr

carbs ARE sugars.. So I don't get his outburst. Meat is good for diabetics.. pasta and fruit not so much

Sal21

Moron. Diabetics shouldn't be eating carbs. Period. Decades ago -- back before big pharma made billions selling insulin (and companies made billions hawking milkshakes and cereal (!) to diabetics) doctors told diabetic patients to remove carbs from their diets to stunning effect.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
@NYCSTeve agree that low carbing is good for people with diabetes. And that type 2 diabetics should definitely be told to reduce the amount of carbs they eat but they still need to balance the amount they eat. Even Dr Bernstein (the most popular low carber ) recommends around 30g - 40 g of carbs a day.
The last wide spread diet that advocated no carbs was pre the discovery of insulin. It was called the starvation diet and even the most compliant patients only lived a very miserable 2 years post diagnoses, before dying an excruciating death via DKA (the body starts eating it own fat and muscles, as the blood turns acidic). Big phama are not ideal but as a type 1 I’d rather take my chance with a balance of carbs and insulin, than some nutty raw food diet crap. (see healthreforums
spirit happy diet, which in case anyone did‘nt know is a very dangerous money making scam)

LonnieB

"Suddenly I like this guy now. I didn't know he was vegan. I'm sure he had health problems due to his lifestyle but if he is doing it for the welfare of the animals, I have mad respect for him. People who sacrifice for the benefit of another are good people. We need more like him. GOOOO STeve O!"

Hey Gina...

Do you wear shoes? Belts? How about your purses and wallets? What are they made of? Leather? Gee...where does leather come from?

Probably the same kind of animal that was being served for dinner.

Besides...eating cows reduces cow farts, and as everybody knows...cowfarts harm the ozone.
So get off your high horse and chow down on a dead cow.

jack

What a fool, probably should have done some research before he made a total idiot of himself.

tracy

As a newly diagnosed diabetic, I must say that my doctors are completely discouraging me from eating meat. Since I am having a very difficult time giving up meat, (it's much easier giving up sugar) the doctors tell me not to eat more than one portion of meat per day, and that portion must not be bigger than a deck of cards. Does anybody else's doctor give them this advice?

David

""...eating animal flesh isn't necessarily bad?" It isn't good for anyone. "

Meat is good for everyone it(and fish) are the only natural sources of creatine.

tracy

Toni

I as a Type 1 Diabetic is embarrassed that the ADA would have him there in the first place. I made a comment to him on his facebook and was told that if I didnt eat meat I would not have become diabetic and that if I stopped eating meat I would be cured. I would think that if they had someone there they would give them a crash course on what the disease is! And the fact that they would have him back I think is a slap to the face to every diabetic out there. He minimized the cause and therefore is really a jackass.

Toni