Gabrielle Union

I Tried to SHOOT My Rapist

6/7/2011 8:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Bad Boys 2" actress Gabrielle Union claims she can understand why Rihanna portrayed the killing of a rapist in her new music video ... because Gabrielle says she tried to shoot the man who raped her when she was 19-years-old.

Gabrielle Union

Union opened up about her past after watching the video for "Man Down" -- saying, "Saw 'Man Down' by @rihanna. Every victim/survivor of rape is unique, including how they THINK they'd like justice 2 be handed out."

She continued, "During my rape I tried 2 shoot my rapist, bt I missed. Over the yrs I realized tht killin my rapist would've added insult 2 injury."

"The DESIRE 2 kill someone whose abused/raped u is understandable, bt unless its self defense n the moment 2 save ur life, just ADDS 2 ur troubles #mandown."

Union -- who has talked about the experience in the past -- says her attacker was a "stranger who robbed the store I worked at. He put his gun dwn durin the rape & asked me 2 [hand] it 2 him."

Gabrielle UnionGabrielle provided a link to Oprah's radio show -- where she talks about the incident in depth.

Susan

and just how did you have a "legally purchased & licensed" gun? And what if you just happended to shoot & miss and hit an innocent bystander ??? I believe your full of it trying to help Rhinna weather all the turmoil she deserves! She's no better than chris brown in fact...you seem like 3 of a kind!

Throwback kid

Is that why she sleeps with married NBA playas?

Reverend Kirk

I understand the fear of the victim in a rape. Not knowing if you will be killed. It is brutal and terrifying. But Rihanna's video does not portray justice. It is vengence and anger. To be angry enough to shoot a person on the head, to kill another human being, is no different than an attacker brutaly raping and killing a victim. If anything, it is worse because it is pre meditated murder. The message this gives our youth is horrifying. That it is alright to kill a person. I'm sorry, I find this mentality very "ghetto". I refuse to play this song on my stations and I encourage Rihanna to retract this message of violence. She has now done more harm to her cause then she can possibly imagine.

Tenacious Dogood

Well ... if nothing else, this has gotten at least a few people discussing sexual assault, and ... if we - as a country and a society, world-wide - would do more of that, folks'd realize what a crisis it really is.

Look at the statistics, folks: 1 in 3 American women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime. So, you males with no apparent empathy, let's apply the stats: is that "1" your wife, your mother, or your daughter?

If you would ask - and they would feel comfortable telling you - the chances are better than average that someone very close to you (if not someone _that_ close to you) has gone through something utterly horrifying, that has had concrete impacts on their life. And you don't even know.

As a society, we need to do better. And ... the more all of his is discussed - and, the more openly it's discussed - the more quickly something can be done about it. :/

Let's think a little harder, please. Our country (world ...) kind of requires it, yes?

Superman

Considering she bangs every celeb in sight, I can't say that I believe her "boo-hoo, pity me" story.

DizzKid

@Throwback kid - Low blow, but true!

I won't be a A-Hole against Union, because she been advocate for women who've been sexual abuse & rape before this crazy video was release, so much respect to her, but not for Rihanna.

rboyle01

I think Rih is trying to show that you can move on from a tragedy such as rape, but she probably should have done it differently.

Geronimo Deuces

Gabrielle... Y are you talking about it NOW?? where were you all those years??? Y didnt you come forward then?? Y did you wait for this video to come forward?? Did jay pay you to do this since this song is not even on top 10?? rihanna likes attention we all know that too bad this backfired on her

your a very beutiful and talented woman

NightOwl

@Geronimo Deuces: She's been talking about her rape for years! She has in no way, shape or form "come forward" just because of this video.

whatIsay

If they are going to let Kanye Wests MONSTER video on tv to be played.... i DONT want to hear anything else about Rhianna's Man Down video!! Kanye's makes Rhianna's look tame by comparison!! It was completely disgusting!! PERIOD !!! Artist expression my @ss!!!

right straight

Rapists deserve no better

K.C.

To all the girls out there shoot them in the balls. Watch them crawl then shoot them in the head

wtf

typical black.

get mad, get a gun, shoot someone.

did it ever occur to this genius to CALL THE COPS?

of course not.

DirtySouth

Sorry to hear that. Given her cir****tances - robbed at gunpoin and being raped, it's understandable how fear would motivate her to just survive. Also, it speaks to her goodness in that even in the worst of moments she couldn't take another person's life. Still, all women should learn how to handle firearms. They don't have to learn in order to own one, but in order to understand how they work and in such situations use them to their advantage. In a situation such as Gabrielle's, it eliminates or reduces the impact of one of the fear factors.

Giveaway

What is this woman saying?!!!

"Adding insult to injury"??? What?!

When a rape is occurring, its already in the negative you idiot, so WHAT INSULT are you adding to what? The rape???

So shooting the rapist in self defense would of added insult to the rape?!

I'm even scratching my head desperately on this one. I haven't even commented on stinking TMZ for two years... this one brought me out, breathtaking assery.

Okay, so, "self defense n the moment 2 save ur life, just ADDS 2 ur troubles", so self defending yourself as a woman only ADDS to your troubles...??? WHAT?!

Oh, I'm getting raped, I have troubles, I can't add to them NO! Self defense by any means possible! ... I don't mean to demean that horrific thing, rape, and I'm not, but this woman seriously is not making sense and is just sending out really bad messages to other young women.

If you need to self defense yourself in a moment that your life is in, you are NOT adding to your troubles.

And is the letter U too difficult to reach? "Bt". I guess it has to do with Twit-ter limits, okay...

I've seen so many instances of misusing terms and words in these thuggies that its mind blowing. They just mis use words all the time. They use for instance the word 'activism' when they mean 'inspiration', stuff like that.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments