Mel Gibson Sued In Recycled Rubber Dispute

6/15/2011 2:53 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson is being sued by a man who claims Mel cajoled him to put his life savings in a newfangled technology to recycle tires ... the guy lost it all and now claims Mel is swindling him.

0615_mel_gibson_doc_launch_ex_2

Nader Sherif met Mel at a dinner party in 2007.  According to the lawsuit, Nader claims Mel started jawboning him about a Malaysian company called Green Rubber, which developed a technology to devulcanize rubber so old tires could be recycled.

Sherif claims Mel tried convincing him to invest $200,000 in the company -- his entire life savings.  Sherif says he was resistant, but someone from the company who was present at the dinner assured him the company would re-purchase Sherif's stock for the full face value whenever Sherif wanted.

But Sherif was still uneasy, telling Mel he had just had a child and could not afford to lose money. Sherif alleges Mel -- who is a "significant investor" in the company --  then told him if the company wouldn't make good, Mel would buy the shares from Sherif for the full $200,000.

Short story -- Sherif was going through hard financial times and wanted Green Rubber to buy his stock back.  Sherif claims the company repeatedly refused to do so, and he then went to Mel, who allegedly ignored his demand.

Sherif is suing for $200,000 plus interest. We could not reach Mel's rep for comment.

0615_green_rubber_awardHere's a video of Mel back in 2008 -- presenting an award to the CEO of Green Rubber at the Global Green Sustainable Design Awards.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Ray

HOPE HE HAS IT IN WRITING, COULD BE A WASTE OF TIME EITHER WAY

croc

mel has enough money.
he is not swindling people.
what a croc.

David Jasper

USA should be renamed "Sue Land" Whats wrong with americans?

McG

Wow, I never thought I'd read a story on TMZ that contained the word "devulcanize." I really feel as if I've learned something today, my whole life is richer because of this experience.

RabbleRouser

That is the dumbest thing I ever heard.
Why would Mel Gibson badger someone for a 200K investment- and guarantee the investment?

God-Is-Busy

Mel would never invest in rubber, he is a good catholic, just like me ;-)

Tellthetruth59

If anyone needs advice on rubbers it's Mel. That said, the guy is bellyaching he made a bad investment decision. What azz would invest their life savings in one thing. Quit crying buddy, you made a stupid decision. So did Mel and cost more than $200K.

GreenEyes

Just somebody else wanting money. Sheesh, will they ever quit?

Muppet

This is such a load of sh*t! Noone says they'll rebuy your stocks! I think this guy must have fell down and bumped his head one too many times! He's using Mel Gibson's name because he thinks Mel won't want the bad publicity and pay up. Nice try buddy! He's weathered far worse storms than the one you're throwing his way! He's going to be much poorer when he has to pay his lawyer for this assinine case he's filed. LOL Some people never learn!

Tellthetruth59

Here's a heads up for the idiots - most of the "green companies" are going to be a major fail. Get used to it.

obama'saracist

any one dumb enough to listen to a celeb doesnt deserve to have money.celebs are some of the dumbest people on the planet.heck they cant even keep there marriages straight.dumb look at p.h. or k.k(no I will not call there names for fear of unleashing a satanic beast)or get some kind of disease

What You Really Want To See

Sherif: 'But Mel, I'm having a baby'.

Mel: 'deja fu

Jus Another Viewer

HOW is it Mels' fault if some guy made a BAD investment? Someone told me to buy a lottery ticket, I lost.. is it HIS fault??
Leave Mel alone, he's got enough trouble w/o someone else's hand out wanting money from him! Geeez.. i'm GLAD i'm broke.. being rich sounds like is SUX!
Still LOVE Mel!
:o)

Bunny that earns scooby snacks!

LOL!

Good luck with that one, loser! Mel certainly would NEVER go after you to invest that small pittance of money you had. You WANTED to be in it.

Pfft!

LEAVE MEL ALONE!

Joao

@Muppet, I agree, this guy is just another foreigner trying to pimp Mel. With investment, comes risk. PLUS, from what I read, Mel never promised him, someone else TOLD HIM that Mel would buy the stock back. You'd think a person who was able to save $200,000 would have a couple brain cells.

If I was Mel, I'd blow the idiot off too... the dude is daffy.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments