« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Super Bowl Hero: Gay Marriage Will Lead to 'Anarchy'

6/16/2011 6:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ex-NY Giants receiver David Tyree -- who made the LEGENDARY helmet catch in Super Bowl XLII -- is coming out against gay marriage HARD ... claiming it's the first step on the road to "ANARCHY."061511_david_tyree_still

Tyree made the statements during an interview earlier today with the National Organization for Marriage -- a faith-based anti-gay marriage group.

During the interview, Tyree is asked about the push to legalize gay marriage in the United States -- and says if it happens, "This will be the beginning of our country sliding toward ... it's a strong word, but anarchy."

0615_David_Tyree_GETTY
To reinforce his point, Tyree says, "You can't teach something that you don't have ... so two men will never be able to show a woman how to be a woman."

And the kicker, Tyree -- who's black -- says, "How can marriage be marriage for thousands of years and now all the sudden because a minority, an influential minority, has a push or agenda ... and totally reshapes something that was not founded in our country."

FYI -- Tyree's statement comes almost 44 years to the day after interracial marriage was legalized in the United States ... thanks, in part, to the agenda of an influential minority.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Whocaires Whocaires

David Tyree is 100% RIGHT. Do we vilify a gay man for saying a heterosexual lifestyle is wrong? Of course not - that would be bigotry. We can NO LONGER speak up in this country, or disagree with someone or something without immediately being called a bigot or racist. Our country is falling apart - and we're wondering why. Look around us. Anything goes now, and it coincides with the social agendas being forced down our throats.

lalalalauren lalalalauren

Classy. I am so glad he is staying true to his minority roots. Oh wait...

Ed Ed

Now he will get slammed for saying something he believes in. I applaud him for taking a stand against immorality.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Regah Regah

Uh, weren't blacks an influential minority not long ago? I remember people saying the same thing about civil rights of African Americans. He sounds like a rich white guy 50 years ago.

Updog Updog

If marriage is so sacred then we should outlaw divorce.

Nick Benson Sr Nick Benson Sr

Good going Tyree!! Finally someone to stand up for what is right! Real men stand up for what they believe in and don't apologize like the wimps Kobe and Obama! Tyree, you are awesome!

MeMe MeMe

It's wonderful to see such an influential man standing up for what he believes in. We need more like him!

TheMarshmallowMan TheMarshmallowMan

Why does anyone care who someone marries, grow the f up. The strongest empires (greek and rome) embraced homosexuality and only faltered when Christianity took over. Maybe he should pick up a history book.

Phil Alger Phil Alger

Lets get real! It's wrong all you all know it! Marriage is between a woman & a man! Now how would you multiple any other way! Please don't be so stupid to say a surrogate, that just enforces what I said!

Little Lord Rivas Little Lord Rivas

Strong words for a guy who catches balls in his face.

Bee Bee

I applaud this young man for speaking up.

lizzimmer lizzimmer

David Tyree was raised by a single mother and has 2 sisters. Yet SOMEHOW he managed to "learn to be a man". Sort of flies in the face of his asinine logic, no?

Whocaires Whocaires

lalalalauren lalalalauren

Classy. I am so glad he is staying true to his minority roots. Oh wait...

Ed Ed

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Tammy

He has a right to his opinion and a right to express said opinion, but I'm surprised he did it publicly and respect him for not letting GLAAD scare him into submission to its agenda.

chris

glad to see a minority supporting a minority. I hope this guys has a fews boys one day and at least ONE is gay.

Bob

Lets do this - Make marriage a religious rite ONLY. No tax benefits, no spousal "rights" without a WRITTEN partnership. That would 1. male no one happy but give everyone less to complain about, 2. save millions of dollars in benefits to spouses paid by employers, 3. put billions more into the treasury in taxes. It's a complete win-win.

Jen O.

God Bless you. Gay marriage will become legal (it will the way this world is headed). I don't think they should be allowed to marry in churches or in any Christian fashion when that happens. Marriage is really asking God to bless your union. Gays are just one of the abominations of God (read the Bible, it's true). God doesn't hate gays (because God doesn't hate) but He comes as close as He can to doing so. I'm not passing judgment because I have no God given right to, but if I have the opportunity to stand up for God on Earth, I will.

MC

This sounds to me like the words of someone who lives their life on the down low. When he's not playing football he's probaly wearing his wife's panties. Next...

moussemaker

Dumbäss.
There's no anarchy in countries like Canada, Spain or Sweden which allow gay marriages.

Jen

I guess this man forgot that it used to be illegal for him to marry any woman of his choosing i guess this man forgot that people used to think a man of color having rights would be the end of this country! absolutely pathetic!

John

If you watched the video, you might notice that he only smiled and showed his teeth when he was talking about his "sexual conquests" -- "not a bad thing." What if you don't believe in Jesus and could care less about somebody catching a ball in a sporting event? He mentions ANARCHY like it's a threat to scare people into his beliefs. Lighten up. If people didn't take action to change there might not have been a Civil Rights movement.

John

So now gender identity and sexual orientation are being taught to children by their parents??? Will he be leading the charge to take all male children away from single mothers and all female children away from single fathers?
And GORMM should worry about where he sticks his penis and stop fixating on where I may stick mine.

kristy

Let me get this straight. I need a man to show me how to be a woman?? Get over yourself. I've been a married heterosexual woman for 27 years and I strongly believe gay marriage should be legalized. Anarchy? Your ignorance is not bliss.

LuvLeeRita

I agree with David Tyree's opinion that gay marriage is not marriage. That's my opinion. I know others disagree and that's fine.
Brings something else to mind. I was watching on television the tease for an upcoming "Pride Parade" and I was thinking. If gay people want you to take them seriously as a community why are they always flaunting themselves in underwear dancing in the street and wearing outrageous costumes and "in your face" sexuality. It's hard to take them seriously when all you want to do is laugh at them because they look so ridiculous. I don't hate gays and I don't hate any group, ethnicity, or culture but I don't believe gays should NOT be allowed to marry. It's Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

Rogue Warrior

Here's where all of this is leading in the not too distant future, a gay person will be able to hit on ANY straight person without fearing repercussion! Keep it in YOUR pants and in your clubs and in your establishments and it's all good. When the rest of America not only has to deal with the struggles their kids go through in normal relationships, they will be expected to discuss how some members of the same sex may come onto them?? Really, good LUCK, you'll need it!

Jasper

As an anarchist, I have to admit Tyree has uncovered our plot.

First, gay marriage.
Next, eliminate stop lights.
Then, we'll stop mowing our lawns.
And before you know it, we'll have the youth of America tearing the tags off of their mattresses!

Jah36

This gentleman makes excellent points and it's refreshing to see someone in the public spotlight take a common sense stand against the depravity of our society as of late. It's also laughable how TMZ stressed the fact that he is black and cited the amount of time it's been since interacial marriage was legalized. It is fallable to attempt to compare race/gender to a behavior. Race/gender are non-transferable, immutable characteristics. We cannot control our race or gender. We can however, all control our behavior.

Tellthetruth59

moussemaker less than a minute ago
Dumbäss.
--------------------------------------------

Canada just does not allow American conservatives to speak in their country under threat of arrest. Soma. Brave New World.