Clarence Clemons Dies

6/19/2011 6:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary saxophonist Clarence Clemons died today of complications from a stroke he suffered back on June 12. He was 69.

0613_clarence_clemons_getty_bn
Clemons, known to fans as the Big Man, was the most famous member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. His music cut through on songs like "Born To Run," "Thunder Road," "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out," and "Dancing In The Dark"... and on and on.

Bruce Springsteen released a statement, saying, "Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage. His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly forty years."

The statement continued, "He was my great friend, my partner, and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band."

Clemons was married five times and had four sons --  Clarence III, Charles, Christopher and Jarod.

0613_CLARENCE_CLEMONS_remembering_footer

Pickle8182

There is no E Street Band without the Big Man. Felt like someone kicked me in the stomach. Make beautiful music in heaven now Clarence, you were the best!

Jodi

Oh wow. Just read about him having the stroke and thought he would pull through. How sad. My condolences go out to his family.

Buzz

the big man left the band
rip

Kay

A big, big talent. Condolences to his family.

b sparre

now the BIG MAN is in a better place. playin' that sax the only way he knows how. he is irreplaceable and will be missed.

Lauren

love you forever. thanks for all the joy you brought this world

john johnson

r.i.p. clarence.

kathy

Awesome man His music will live on. RIP Big Man!!

Fiery Red

OMG. I can not believe that Mr. Clemons has died. In my opinion, he was the most talented musician in the E Street Band including Bruce Springsteen. He has been one of my favorite musicians for as long as I can remember. No one played the sax better. May he rest in peace.

Smr722

The world is less today we lost a great man and a huge part of our culture, I feel a huge void, loved this man and his talent. Thank you Clarence for all the joy you gave us. Rest easy now Big Man . You will be in out hearts and minds always. Love ya Bro !

shane

The world is a better place because of him. RIP Bg Man. Your music will live forever.

Andrew Zaborney

My condolences to the entire Clemons family.
The E Street Band will never be the same without Clarence.
He is now joining Danny Federici on the Hammond B in the skies.
How can they tour without him?
God Bless Clarence and thank you for all your talent, wisdom and dedication to music.

John Sal

AAAWWW this is a very sad day for me and my whole family. my deepest regrets go out to his family and of course Bruce and the E street band. I'll never forget the first time i took my wife to see Bruce and the E street band at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA in 1972 (give or take LOL). The first song they played Clarence didn't come out. and then outta now where.... this very large man dressed in a white suite and white hat came out and started playing and it was truely amazing. to me that is why he is known as the BIG MAN. We will always miss him, never forget him, and may he rest in peace with Danny.

Since then I have never missed a concert in Philly. My whole entourge of family & friends(theres about 15-20 of us )attended every single show in Philly. My love for Bruce and the E street band has trickled down to my grandchildren. The youngest being 7 attended his first concert out of the four amazing shows @ the Spectrum. Clarence and the rest of E street band is apart of my family and we will all truely miss the BIG MAN.

We are all listening to all there songs tonight and remembering Clerance.

Karen

If you live in Jersey then you probably have seen the "BIG MAN" in concert. I have seen Clarence Clemons and Bruce Springsteen at least 20 times and I feel like I lost a family member. He will be missed.

LR