Roger Ebert: 'I Was Probably Too Quick to Tweet'

6/21/2011 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Roger Ebert says he "was probably too quick to tweet" about the car crash that killed "Jackass" star Ryan Dunn yesterday ... explaining that his post was "not intended as cruel."

0621_ebert_bam_BN_01

Ebert just blogged about the situation on his website -- saying, "To begin with, I offer my sympathy to Ryan Dunn's family and friends, and to those of Zachary Hartwell, who also died in the crash. I mean that sincerely. It is tragic to lose a loved one."

Ebert continues, "I also regret that my tweet about the event was considered cruel. It was not intended as cruel. It was intended as true."

Ebert explains that he wrote the tweet based on preliminary reports and admits, "I have no way of knowing if Ryan Dunn was drunk at the time of his death."

"I don't know what happened in this case, and I was probably too quick to tweet. That was unseemly."

0621_ebert_tweet_yesterday

Ebert, however, staunchly defends the message in his tweet -- that people should NOT drink and drive -- saying, "I do know that nobody has any business driving on a public highway at 110 mph, as some estimated -- or fast enough, anyway, to leave a highway and fly through 40 yards of trees before crashing."

"That is especially true if the driver has had three shots and three beers. Two people were killed. What if the car had crashed into another car?"

As we previously reported, Dunn's friend Bam Margera WENT OFF on Ebert last night -- telling the movie critic to shut his "f**king mouth" about Dunn's crash.

NickSunset

I think Johnny Knoxville wants to punch Roger in the Jaw.

some guy

Truth hurts. Get over it.

rene

Driving drunk is a choice. Ebert is correct, we shouldn't sugarcoat that Dunn was an idiot and paid the ultimate price. Unfortunately, his passenger and loved ones paid as well.

Sashatree

Dunn was just another moron who got some notariey by acting like a jackass - shoving toy cars up his ass and such. I am with Mr. Ebert on this one -- Dunn was DRUNK, and driving, and speeding like a bat out of hell. The "waste of skin" not only killed himself, but a passenger. Thank God he didn't kill other innocent people who might have been driving in that area. Idiocracy and our worship of these TV Reality lowlifes is the new norm here in the USA. I, for one, will shed not a tear. The guy lived and died like a jerk.

Stablu

Don't worry Roger, keep your chin up. Or whatever that thing is.

Liam

Wow. Once again, the comments are filled with insensitive jerks.

For one, Ebert is right; people should not let their friends drink and drive, but at this time we don't even know how drunk Dunn was or if it was even a factor in his death.

And two, he offered his sympathy; maybe all of your morons who agree with him should follow his lead and show some sympathy instead of blaming Dunn and insulting his family and friends?

Rob

What a puzzy Ebert is... backing down to a Jackazz. They are ALL a bunch of liberal, hollywood loving, politically correct JACKAZZES!

Normies

Ebert does not have to apologize. May Ryan Dunn rest in peace but good God, he was drunk behind the wheel and because of these actions two people are DEAD. They could have injured other people, you dont get behind a wheel drunk. Period. I assure you if these two drunk idiots crashed into my car with my children in them, I would set their car on fire and personally killed them myself.

John the Lawyer

I don't get all this social media crap where everyone feels entitled to post all sorts of smack about everyone and everything, but when it's THEM, well, show some respect. This guy lived and died in the so-called spotlight, Ebert was right to call him out for what he did. The fact that a mass of ****tered idiots with opposable thumbs didn't "like" it makes it no less relevant. Heck, most of them stoop to calling him "old" and mocking how he looks. Guy who makes living as jackass does shots and beers, has drunk looking photos taken, and speeds off in super-uber Porsche to his death: That's ok for these ****terheads. Ebert calling him out? Oh its too soon and you're too old and look at your picture you're ugly. Perhaps all ****ter and spacebook do is bring out the anonymous ugliness that seems to be the Gestalt nowadays. (and yes, the misspelling is intentional and intended as parody. get over it)

Ashleigh

Bam margera is a Jackass. That is what he does. The fact is his friend was a lame-o and he killed another person at the same time.

jpierce26

I wish people would stop calling Ryan a dumbass. Until the toxicology comes back that he was drunk, then officially it wasn't drunk driving. Like I said, he could have swirved to miss a deer and woundup crashing. I have done that. His stearing wheel could have stuck, he could have been goofing off with his friend in the car....ANYTHING. He could have been in the middle of a text. People just assume that because he was at a bar and had some drinks that he was above the limit....not always true. Thats why there is a limit, because you can drink and be fine to drive home. If he was plastered, why hadn't the bartender cut him off....why didn't his other friend (the 3rd guy in the pic) drive him home or call a taxi? Yes, what Roger and many hatefule people have been saying is way too soon.....know the cause and cir****tances of death before you speak.

John the Lawyer

Oh, I see we censor here. Sorry. The stars were t_watt_er

Kim

Ebert should have just stopped at it was too soon to tweet...

AaDubs

what all you sanctimonious "ebert is right" pricks are missing, is time and place. the universal truth that drinking and driving is wrong is kind of something that smart people don't have to say out loud. we just know it. cause it's, umm, obvious. especially don't say it right after 2 people died. cause it's umm, really cruel. do you enjoy being cruel? do you think being cruel is ok because technically you are right? you sound like the type of retards that would sit outside a hospital and tell people that just had their larynx removed that smoking is bad. umm... no ****. thank for the wise words, douche bags.

sara

While I think Roger did the classy thing in apologizing--his initial statement was in no way wrong. The guy photographed himself drunk that night. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that he had alcohol in his blood.

I find it sad that his alcoholic friend, Bam, is so upset--when he apparently has as much of a drinking problem as his friend who was killed. In July 2009, his wife had to call 911 to get him to the hospital after a 4-day drinking binge. Sorry, if he doesn't like hearing that his friend's actions were stupid--but they were...and they killed another person as well.

Why are you so shocked that in a group called "Camp Kill Yourself" that also had alcohol problems somebody died young from stupid actions? Seems like that's their goal in life.