'King of Infomercials' Busted for Vitamin Fraud

6/24/2011 3:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Don Lapre, the self-proclaimed "King of Infomercials," has been indicted for allegedly defrauding several hundred thousand people out of millions of bucks by making bogus vitamin claims.

Don Lapre

Lapre, who has been a fixture on early AM TV hawking various products, was arrested and now faces 41 counts of conspiracy and fraud by selling The Greatest Vitamin in the World -- yes, that's the name.

The FDA begged to differ, concluding that Lapre was making wild claims about the vitamin that were simply unsupported by the evidence.

Prosecutors say more than 200,000 people were snookered into paying $52 million for the supplement.

Lapre could not be reached for comment.

TheMachine1

Another good reason to ditch you cable tv is to avoid all those infomercials.

Barb

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Barb

If it sounds to be good to be true, it probably is.

tomcruiseisNUTs

DOUCH-INFORMERCIALS.....ONE MORE IN THE JOINT.
let see if the "BOYS" in the joint make him take a special "vitamin" as part of his daily regimen.

Scott

Is he related to Lenny dykstra?

Scott

Tomorrow is our big day MJ's 2nd anniversary keep your fingers limber.

RIP MJ

Peace

Ivan in Phoenix

He should have stuck with the infomercial about getting rich from placing little ads in newspapers. At least then, he could blame the buyers failure on putting it in the wrong newspaper or on writing a crappy ad.

Barb

Oops, second Barb comment was not supposed to go through.

Criss

Damn, I remember this guy back when he was peddling his wares about making money by placing tiny classified ads in papers, and I actually bought it (mainly because it was only about $30, and I was curious at the time.)

Jodi

I remember this dude. I bought a bottle of these vitamins a long time ago because I wanted one vitamin pill that would take care of my whole body needs instead of buying 2 or 3 different bottle of vitamins for each need. I didn't feel any difference after I had finished the bottle so I never bought anymore.

I would try and get in on the class action lawsuit but with thousands of people being defrauded my share would be about $2 dollars so it's not worth it. I wouldn't even get back what I paid for it. Damn

Criss

Does anyone remember the actual brand name of the "vitamin" in question?

Jack

about time they charged this a-hole, he's been pulling one scam after another.

egon2020

For a grand total of 1.04e13 dollars?

Stiletto

If my math is correct, 52 million divided by 200 thousand equals $260... a bottle. If so, they deserved to get ripped off.

Tammy

Does this surprise anyone?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments