« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

WWE Star

Hurls Homophobic Slur

At Fan

7/5/2011 4:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

WWE bad guy CM Punk was caught on camera screaming "You homo!" at a fan during a verbal altercation in Australia today ... this as the WWE has said repeatedly they are trying to curb homophobic slurs.
070411_cm_punk_still

The wrestling organization works directly with GLAAD and even produced a series of anti-bullying commercials following incidents involving announcer Michael Cole and wrestler John Cena.

Calls to GLAAD were not returned.

UPDATE: A rep for the WWE tells TMZ, "WWE does not condone this type of language or bias and we reinforce that with our talent who are independent contractors."

UPDATE 2: CM apologized via Twitter, saying, "...I'm embarrassed. I own up to being a total douche in this situation and I offer a sincere apology to anybody I hurt with careless words."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Kara

Any body tha*****ches wrestling knows that CM Punk is on his last leg and has recently been suspended for other disrespectful comments made and that his contact is up on July 17.... That day can't come soon enough, he is pissed off that he is not a sucessful as John Cena...

mrsnickers

I'm soooooo sick of this fake political correctness BS, punk rules

Orlando Jordan

Yes, Harvey is sensitive about these comments because he is gay. I have personal knowledge because I love Harvey. Deeply and firmly.

Los

Punk already apologised for this on Twitter. Convenient of TMZ not to mention this yet.

Lando

Who gives a ****.

Its a heel wrestler yelling at a wrestling event. This isn't a Congressman or a President slipping in a racial slur in a speech.

People who get offended at this thing need to go **** off. If it truly bothers you, you are just fishing for things to be offended at.

Standards

Kara you do realize that Professional Wrestling is Scripted right. because Save that the promo that Punk did on Raw last week. that lead to his "SUSPENSION" and that his Contract is Legit up on the 17th. anything in Wrestling isnt real except the injuries

Bubonik

Has anyone considered the fact that "CM Punk" is technically a character portrayed by a "sports entertainer" named Phil Brooks? I'm pretty sure Phil Brooks didn't actually have any ill feelings towards some random guy at a wrestling show. It's not like people demanded an apology from Ellen Albertini Dow when she used the same word in "Wedding Crashers." I don't know if you got the memo TMZ, but wrestling is staged.

DTrainSmash

You do realize he's playing a character, right?
Man, I really hope someone catches that Jason guy. Can't believe he's been on the run since killing all those campers back in the '80s.

Mithro

@Kara CM Punk was Kayfabe suspended, and all of his comments on Raw were Kayfabe as well, he wasn't really suspended, ya ******* retard. And his contract isn't actually coming to an end. It's part of the show, or is it still real to you, dammit?

The Neko Nation

@ Kara, Are you really that moronic or are you just another angry gay person who can't stand anyone taking a shot at you yet you are more than happy to take a shot at anyone who isn't gay and doesn't agree with you? The whole supposed shoot on RAW was a work! GET A CLUE! CM PUNK IS A HEEL AND WRESTLING ISN"T REAL!

Kat

his apology means nothing. he still made the remark.

Kara

Standard,

yes I understand this is a man's soap opera and grew up attending matches in tampa. It feeds it's fans what they ask for but just like we hold famous people accountable for their comments including the comments that Cena made to Michael Cole so goes CM Punk.

Josie

THIS WAS AMAZING! I thought it was epic <3

dee

... Wow. I normally enjoy TMZ, but really, the guy was doing his job. Making people hate him IS his job.

But more than that, the fact that you edited his apology tweet, really kinda pissed me off. You know, the part where he actually thanked you guys for posting the video, because he believes that everyone should be held accountable for their own actions, including himself? That, to me, is pretty effing lame. He gave you guys credit for doing his job, and you seemingly left that part off so you could make him seem like more of an jerk.

Don't get me wrong. The man CAN be a jerk in real life. OFTEN. But in this case, he issued a sincere apology and has been KNOWN to support gay rights. It'd be nice if you told the whole story.

Jesse

TMZ is just a bunch of dip****s looking for a story to create controversy. As a wrestling fan, I've always expected this from the "bad guys" but CM Punk the person has defended gay marriage/rights on a countless amount of times. TMZ is full of homos.