Harry Potter and The Forbidden Typeface

7/8/2011 4:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Evil forces are at work at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando, Florida ... all because the gift shop is selling merchandise which contains a STOLEN FONT ... this according to a new lawsuit.

0708_harry_potter_art_550

The company behind the lawsuit is P22 Type Foundry -- which claims they own the copyright to the Cezanne Regular font (seen above) ... which, apparently, is a very wizardy-looking typeface.

According to the lawsuit, filed Tuesday in federal court in NY, P22 claims the font was splashed all over Potter t-shirts, hats, pins bags and more -- but no one associated with the merchandise ever got permission to use the font for commercial purposes.

Now, P22 is going after NBCUniversal -- the company that owns the theme park --as well as the merchandise manufacturers ... demanding at least $1.5 MILLION in damages.

We were unable to get a comment from NBCUniversal.

0708_harry_potter_premiere_footer

rsmik

Instead of NBCUniversal pushing for lawsuits against piracy of movies and music, they are getting sued for piracy of a font. Got to love it.

Common Sense

Those who complain about the design company looking for money... Do you have any clue how long it takes to design a font? (Called a typeface.) Any idea how much talent it takes to make a typeface work? It's also the bread and butter of type foundries. It's called design. And when you use it, you need to pay for it.

Kenneth Erickson

To the Gentle person who stated that it took a great deal of time to create a font and get it working, I would like to point out there is a program "Becker" fonts (LESS THAN 50 DOLLARS) that assist anyone in creating a "True Type" (r) (c) font in less than 15 minutes.

P22 you have to be kidding. Oh. Oh. Oh. maybe you could copy right the alphabet too!! THEN WE WOULD BE SCREWED. SHUT MY MOUTH!!

Kenneth Erickson

I wrote to the company to provide me a tool to remove all of their so-called fonts. I told them if in 30 days they failed, or refused to provide a reasonable method to remove these fonts, that I could used said fonts in any manner including commercial or otherwise.

I further have a problem with this company licensing "historical fonts" as their own new copyright. I thought copyright was only for 75 years. see: so called "Johnson fonts"

Kenneth Erickson

Luis

Now they are freaking out when people buy "too much" merchandise, they are terrified that people are reselling their items on ebay.

derk

Wouldn't this mean that anyone that's ever used this font would have to be sued! You'll NEVER see what I've written in my journal! MUAHAHAHHA! >:D

No but seriously....... P22 needs to go away. They are wasting time....seriously this area of the park has been open for almost 2 years now, and they just now notice that their font is on everything. hmmmmm......I think that they just hitting some place that has a lot of money. I'm sure there are plenty of more places/people that have used this type of font.

Go UNIVERSAL!

Edmund Lim

For more information about copyright, visit Tiger Intellectual http://www.tigerintellectual.com

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4