'Sister Wives' Family -- Just Like The Gays!

7/12/2011 7:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The Mormons and the gays -- they don't always get along ... but thanks to a brand new lawsuit about to be filed by "Sister Wives" star Kody Brown, it seems they have more in common than you'd think!

0712_sisterwives_flag_BN

Brown and his multi-wife "plural" family claim they're filing a lawsuit against the state of Utah tomorrow -- challenging the bigamy law that makes their lifestyle illegal.

The Brown family attorney posted a statement on his blog saying, "We are not demanding the recognition of polygamous marriage. We are only challenging the right of the state to prosecute people for their private relations and demanding equal treatment with other citizens in living their lives according to their own beliefs."

The attorney adds, "It is a challenge designed to benefit not just polygamists but all citizens who wish to live their lives according to their own values -- even if those values run counter to those of the majority in the state."

The legal argument is virtually identical to the one made by supporters of gay marriage ... which is illegal in most U.S. states ... including Utah.

So, we gotta ask ...

Felicity

DanicaMarie 3 minutes ago

I may not agree with having more than one spouse, but who really cares what people do behind THEIR closed doors?? I know i sure don't. Just because i dont understand it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed. People should be able to practice what ever they want as long as it doesn't interfere with other people. I wouldn't push my monogamous, heterosexuality on someone, so i would appreciate the same respect.

------------------------------------------------------------

Really? You don't care at all about what people do behind THEIR closed doors? What about people like Casey Anthony? Did it matter what she did behind her closed doors involving her daughter? What about the likes of Dahmer? Manson? What if a child molester moved into your neighborhood and you had young children? Would you be concerned about what went on behind HIS/HER closed doors if your young child ended up inside? I think the US is getting too complacent. If these fools want to have their little lovefest legalized, then they need to change the wording on that lawsuit. We have laws for a reason. If no one cares what goes on behind anyone else's closed doors, then let's just chuck the law books out the windows, tell all the people in law enforcement and the judicial system they are no longer needed and go back to the way things were in the days of the caveman - survival of the fittest and every man for himself.

Rick

The pot calling the kettle black. The poll results are interesting. 67% say it is ok for gays to marry but not this group. Sounds pretty hypocritical, but what else is new. Liberals are the kings and queens of hypocritical behavior.

some guy

@MightyMad

If polygamy were legalized, there'd prob be rules made for that kind of ****.

Unless they have black market weddings, the govt. should be able to figure out who married who.

Still dunno about marriage, but I would get married to have kids. If you can provide for multiple kids, with multiple wives, and ensure they get a good education, then I don't see what the big deal is.

Nikki M

Polygamy is the same as Gay rights!! Its letting people live there life the way they choose to!!! There Not hurting anyone else, they just want to live there lives, the way they feel works for them!

Carl

I'd support people's right to be in a polygamist marriage for practical reasons. Many if not most polygamists scam our public welfare system. Since only the first marriage is legal the rest of the "wives" often go on public assistance since they are considered "single mothers". Let them all get married and save the taxpayers some money.

Jeff Opper

Wow TMZ do your research Kody has said he and his family are NOT Mormon nor do they belong to a breakoff sect of the Mormon church. Do your research and show the correct info.

Emily

Who am I (or anyone else who's commented) to tell people what they can and can't do in their own lives and their own homes? What right do you have to tell people they can't sleep with as many people as they want? LEGALLY, this man is only married to one woman. The other marriages are religious ceremonies. So what is it about this guy that makes him a target? Did we go prosecute Arnold when he admitted that he had affairs and a child outside of his marriage? Noooo, so obviously we don't care how many women a man is sleeping with, or how many children he has -- society has decided they hate him because he provides for them all and keeps a roof over their heads??

Don't get me wrong. I think he's a jerk, and I would never share my husband with another woman, and I am a religious person and my church doesn't support this... But from a non-religious stand point, I can't tell this guy what he can and can't do. The fact of the matter is this: YOU CANNOT LEGALIZE MORALITY. And, if you are going to make it religious, the only right you have is to say, "I disagree with what you're doing, but I understand you have the right to do whatever you want. Religiously, I can't support you."

And, I think you should be able to marry WHO ever you want, as long as who/what you're marrying has the presence of mind to make that choice as well. Therefore, no marrying your car. But Kody and these ladies should have the right to live their lives however they want -- even though I wouldn't live my own life that way.

Crystal

We may not understand their way of life, but it must be tolerated anyway. No one is being harmed. Atleast the children are being taken care of and provided for. Why is it better to take this father away from his children?

dk

This isn't a life I would choose, but if you have ever watched the show it is obvious they are all in this relationship because they want to be in it and their children are loved and well cared for. My opinion has changed after watching the show. They should not be prosecuted, they are not hurting anyone and have freely chosen this life. People have a right to make their own choices as to what a family is and it isn't our job to make those decisions for anyone else.

dk

elyiia

There's more to this than just "Consenting adults". You also have to factor in tax laws and other things associated with marriage. How would a 5 way divorce work?

LolaTV

Check out this site! It's snark on the Sister Wives! They need your comments! Lot's of good info on them!
Bankruptcy papers info link, etc.

bwd

Think about it ...

It is not illegal to have multiple partners.
It is not illegal to be a swinging couple.
It is not illegal to cheat on your spouse.
It is not illegal to produce children with multiple partners.
It is not illegal to have ten children by ten women.

How can having multiple spouses be illegal, should all parties involved be adults and in agreement?

If this were a dude with four girlfriends (think HEF), it wouldn't be an issue.

It makes no sense.

Jeff Opper

@writenow...that dude was a member of the fundamentalist church not the official mormon church. it is a break off fringe group that has nothing to do with the mormons based out of salt lake city.

Diane

These people are NOT Mormon.