'Swamp People' Star

Mmmmm ... Rodent Stew

7/21/2011 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It ain't your mama's Southern cookin' -- "Swamp Star" Troy Landry tells TMZ, he's working on his own little COOKBOOK featuring real backwoods bayou faves ... and it includes rodent stew!!!!!

0720-troy-lantry-swamp-ex

According to Landry -- the guy who basically cooks everything on the show -- SEVERAL publishers have already approached him about a book deal since "SP" premiered last year ... but he's still weighing his options.

Landry tells us, he's currently compiling a master list of all his recipes -- which includes his most famous dish called "Nutria Sauce Piquante" ... a gumbo made from a semiaquatic rodent called a nutria ... basically an over-sized rat.

0720-nutria-example-sub

Troy says he picked up his recipes while working at his father's restaurant as a kid -- but don't worry ... we're told the cookbook still has kinda normal things ... you know, like deep South chicken (okay, still scary).

As for his dad's restaurant -- it shut down a few years back. Sad? Yes. Surprising? No comment.

jacquie

I LOVE THIS SHOW!! i remember on one episode one of the guys drank water straight outta the swamp!! people might laugh and call these people hillbillies but when the end of the world comes and people have to fend for themselves the swamp people are gonna be laughing and taking control of alligators with their bare hands

Cleveland Gal

This man is repulsive and so is the show, they just like killing things.

Jt

great show and Troy's the man, but Liz is the real star! I say good for all of them - people have been living off the land since the dawn of man and I love the idea of Troy's cookbook. I may not be so gung-ho on eating nutria, but I've eaten gator several times and snake stew and frankly, they were pretty damn tasty!

rebelle

dont knock it till ya tried it guys...i grew up on nutria sausage and raccoon stew and squirrel meat...my dad was a hunter in the bayou as well. these are delicacies in the south and really are quite tasty....nutria is just a ROUS to quote the princess bride. they also happen to make delicious sausage!

moe

I love Troy and all the "Swamp People"! Although I won't be eating any nutria, I have and will continue to eat alligator and other so-called "exotic" meats. The real hillbillies in this situation are the ignorant people making mocking comments about a culture they don't understand. You're reading TMZ for og's sake!!

crazygravy

Get your facts straight; it's more like a beaver:

A large semiaquatic beaverlike rodent

andy

"Swamp People" is absolutely the WORST show on "History" these days, with no redeeming value whatsoever. The show centers around a group of people shooting crocodiles in the back of the head with a shotgun, and then selling them. And, then, they continue to show the exact same scenario, . . . again, and again, and again, and again, etc. With a great selection of other shows, such as "How The States Got Their Shapes", "Ice Road Truckers", "American Pickers", "Pawn Stars", "American Restoration", "Top Gear" (season 2 should be much improved), etc, . . . somehow, someone dropped the ball with this particular show.

Even with a TMZ promo post, . . . I'M STILL NO*****CHING!!!!!!

Good Times . . .

mana

Hey - not such a bad thing. Nutria are an introduced species that Louisiana and other states have been trying to get rid of for a long time. Originally people thought they'd harvest them and sell their fur, but apparently wearing rodent didn't go over too well and it never caught on. Now they're overpopulated and destroying wetlands. So I guess if this guy thinks they're tasty that's not such a bad thing. Good for him.

ArdisK

I take offense at all of you who put down the men and women who appear on Swamp People. I enjoy the show as it gives us a perspective on how another culture within our society lives. They are honest, hard-working individuals who have grown up within this culture and make a living in a very hard way. Yes, they do not talk the same way as a lot of us, but neither do New Yorkers, Bronx, the Southern States, or any other area of the US. I am from the Northwest and to someone from any area of the US I talk funny. Please keep you comments to yourself if you can't say anything nice about something or someone.

Big D

We call them Swamp Rabbits. If you have ever been down here and tasted swamp rabbit, you've had some nutria. Tastes pretty good if you can get over their nasty hairless tail and yellow teeth. They are vegitarians, so the meat is really good.
I don't know Troy, but I hear that he has money and is not the typical swamp fisherman. I'm a big fan, hes no dummy.

Ap

Please do not refer to us as "Hicks" The proper term is "Coon Ass", or "Cajuns." Troy is far from ignorant he is Cajun French and speaks the language fluently,he also just has a strong accent. People from Louisiana, can understand him just fine. I love our culture here. No i don't eat nutria, but have heard it's very delish!

andy

No one cares about the word "*******", TMZ. GOOD GRIEF!!!

Please, change your filtering settings so that people can post
a "clean" non offensive phrase, such as "n/o/t/. . .w/a/t/c/h/i/n/g" ! ! !

TMZ isn't exactly known for being "family friendly", anyway!!!

Jackie

Carnival eaters sux. when Animals attack them, then they cry a river. ha ha

Mandy

Seriously, Louisiana has the best food EVER!!! If they say it's good, it's probably the shizz!

christina

eeewwww. I found one of these swimming in my koi pond. Scare the eff out of me!!!! Looked like a rat on 'roids!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments