'Top Gear' Star -- My SWEET Summer Ride

7/26/2011 12:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Top Gear" star Rutledge Wood is gonna have a fun time driving this summer ... because the TV host just bought a SICK vintage Volkswagen van from the '60s -- and he's already got some awesome plans for it.

0722-top-gear-vw-ex

Rutledge tells TMZ he recently purchased a 1966 VW Double Cab -- and even though it doesn't have any seat belts yet, it did come with a cool surfboard ... and he plans to put a '50s Coca-Cola cooler in it as well.

The car enthusiast says his father-in-law found the car on eBay and asked Rutledge to go check it out for him. Wood fell in love with it and made a deal to trade his 1970 Datsun 521 for it, as well as a little extra cash.

Rutledge says he plans on piling the family inside the car a lot this summer to drive down and hang out with his NASCAR pal Kyle Petty at his beach house in Charleston, SC.

Cartman

Top Gear? Too bad the American version isn't about cool cars.

joey _ I love TMZ 'til ya piss me off!

My ex-husband had a covered '66, which I almost gave birth in, driving over Sepulveda to St. John's in Santa Monica. I know that car well!

SLH

two questions:

- who?
- who cares?

Woot

I still remember the "new car smell" of our 66 VW bus that my dad bought as our family's first brand new car. What great memories...

Cujeaux

Good luck keeping that thing on the road. Anything german-made over 5 years old will costs a bloody fortune in repairs. It's probably one decibel lower than a weed wacker.

JHenninger

I love it hahaha I think he's smokeing to much green to me

CriticAl

I wouldn't want to travel in that thing. Sure, it's cool as a novelty item, but going across country in it would suck.

Azzkicker

I'm a Top Gear (original version) lover, and jus*****ched an episode of Top Gear USA. My god, what an incredibly bland & flat show. The original version is hilarious; very tongue in cheek & funny. The USA version is BORING; they copied everything about the original version, but the hosts are just worthless; 3 wannabe hipsters who don't know diddly about cars. So, off to watch the original version with Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard "the hamster" Hammond...

Carvey

Actually these things last forever with a little care. Heck, if they break down you can usually fix them with random junk found alongside the road. As far as the decibel level these things put out... well yeah, they're noisy.

Jim

That`s Top Gear US. Which sucks. The original on BBC is waaaaaay better.

Paul

Cool ride. Too bad the Top Gear USA show sucks some serious ass.

dave

does anyone actually watch the american version? who is this guy?

karlew

This is the only van ever made I would even consider buying. They're tough, fairly economical especially for an older vehicle and pretty cool looking I have to agree though I wouldn't want to drive cross country in it. They're also loud and not very ergonomically friendly. Fun though, definitely fun.

msangelina

It looks like the Dharma Initiative vans!

Quinn