« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

U.S. Skier's Heartbreaking 911

"I'm Gonna Kill Myself"

7/28/2011 2:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

** WARNING -- THE 911 TAPE IS EXTREMELY EMOTIONAL AND VERY SAD **

Jeret Peterson 911 Call
U.S. Olympic
skier Jeret "Speedy" Peterson called 911 moments before he committed suicide Monday ... and while fighting back tears, the 29-year-old told the operator, "I'm going to kill myself."

Peterson then gave his location to the operator and said, "I want police to come get the body." He then hung up the phone.

Cops in Summit County, Utah responded to the spot where Peterson said he would be ... and found the skier's body "obviously deceased from what appeared to be a gunshot wound to the head."

According to the police report, obtained by TMZ, Peterson left a suicide note ... but cops are not releasing it to the public.

Peterson was one of the best freestyle skiers in the world. He competed in 3 Olympics for the U.S.  ... winning a silver medal in Vancouver in 2010.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

T. Bag Jones

Really awful. Please remove this item from your site. Please.

Lorraine

Pretty appalled you, TMZ would post this. Absolutely disgusting. Have you no respect for what this poor guy was going through, or hell, I don't know... respect for his family?

I've loved TMZ for years, this really makes me second guess why I visit this site. I think this will be one of the reasons I stop.

R.I.P. Jeret & much much love to all of your family.

Harvey.. be ashamed you needed THIS to get headlines.

Watcher

PULL THIS OFF YOUR SITE IMMEDIATELY. SHAME.

Sonya in Tx

I think he was busted for a DUI. Maybe he was ashamed of himself that he couldn't get past it....

Emmer

I think it's disgusting that you have posted the 911 call. I have chosen not to listen to it. His family and friends must be going through such a horrible time. Posting this is completely and utterly tasteless and disrepectful. I would suggest that you take this down.

TheMarshmallowMan

TMZ=classless

Patrick

A Casey Anthony Suicide phone call I would find interesting, but not this, very sad!

norm abrams

Harvey! This is so ******* classless, and hurtfull for to the family. You should be ******* ashamed of yourself for putting it on your silly celebrity gossip website.

Ali

I don't like this - I did not listen. I am a 911 operator, I have listened to a few suicide calls in my life, it is the lowest point a person can be in and should remain private to their family. For shame.

who cares

I AGREE TAKE THIS DOWN TMZ AND APOLOGIZE TO THE FAMILY AND READERS THIS IS NO DFFERENT THEN NOTW TYPE REPORTING

Zoe

First, to all the people moaning about how classless this is and that TMZ shouldn't have posted it, you all obviously listened to it so don't be hypocrites. Secondly, I don't get why finding his body matters to him if he killed himself. Presumably so his family could take some sort of comfort having a funeral. If he was really thinking of them, he wouldn't have done it, period. Suicide is the most selfish and cowardly option a human has. His family and friends deserved more.

norm abrams

I live in his hometown. I'm going to direct the local newsmedia to your disgusting posting of this 911 call. Harvey, you should be very ashamed of yourself. Let's see you justify this as you giggle your way through TMZ live.

anon857

Congratulations, TMZ. You have just convinced me not to return to your site again. This is a new low and a slimy exploitation of someone's pain - all in the name of page views.

Alisa

So so sad! I wish I could have helped him but I only saw him flying through the air. I do feel so sick about this. RIP Jaret, God has a candle for you.

Cujeaux

What's it going to take for our local police stations to hire qualified dispatchers? They foul up every single emergency call they get by not listening, repeating things over and over, taking forever to get the information, asking for the victims's name while the person on the other end is begging for CPR instructions and help....

If they're only willing to pay them $12/hr, they should expect that they're putting the whole community at risk by putting bonesheads in charge of the most important contact people have with the police. I think this guy could have been saved if the dispatcher actually took an interest in her F*ing job.