Gavin DeGraw

Struck By Cab After Assault

8/9/2011 7:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Gavin DeGraw Hospitalized
Law enforcement tells TMZ ... a dazed and confused Gavin DeGraw was struck by a cab minutes after being assaulted in NYC Sunday night.

We're told a witness saw the cab strike the singer and called 911. When paramedics arrived, they observed facial injuries and Gavin was transported by ambulance to Bellevue Hospital.

Gavin's rep tells TMZ the singer is being treated for multiple serious injuries -- including a concussion, broken nose, black eyes, cuts and bruises.

TMZ broke the story ... Gavin was attacked by multiple assailants late Sunday night. It's unclear what motivated the attack.

The rep adds, "Police are conducting an investigation of the attack. Gavin and his family appreciate everyone's concern at this time. We have no information yet regarding his upcoming concert dates and promotion for his new album."

As for tonight's show in Saratoga Springs, NY -- TMZ has learned Gavin will be replaced by Nikki Jean. Maroon 5 and Train will perform as scheduled.

update_bar
3:40 PM: Gavin is speaking out on Twitter for the first time since the incident ... but claims his memory's a little foggy, writing, "Hi my friends. Honestly, I don't remember much. I only know I can recover from here. Thank u all for your genuine concern. I love u guys."

3:13 PM: Gavin has been discharged from the hospital, according to his rep.

8:40 AM:
An NYPD spokesperson claims DeGraw says he was attacked by 3 men at 3:00 AM Monday morning.

8:00 AM: A rep for Maroon 5 tells us, "The band was horrified to hear what happened to Gavin and sends their best wishes to him for a speedy recovery."

MyOpinionOnly

OMG! That's awful news! Why would he get jumped?? I hope that he recovers okay, he seems like a great down to earth guy and is a wonderful muscian! Praying for your Gavin!

Booplady

That is horrible! Beautiful voice, soul and man. I hope they catch the creeps. I have seen this man 4 times and have a picture of him and I at one of his concerts. He couldn't hurt anyone so it's bs that his happened. I hope he hires a body guard after this. Some people suck!

Criss

Who?

Susan Charles

You know the attackers had to be black. But no mention of that. What was the motivation? He is white. Whites are second class citizens vulnerable to racial attacks.

BruceLee

I have started to study martial arts to handle situations like this. Women and everyone should study some form of martial art.

sessy21

nooooo! :( IM GOING TO SEE THEM IN CONCERT ON THE 30TH.

Keyandra

He's the guy that sings "I don't wanna be anything other than what I've been trying to be lately." Duh people. How do you not know who he is.... smh

berriechic

So sad...
Berriechiconline.com
twitter.com/bbstylez

Mimi

It is simply disgusting that people would do this to another human being. I feel sorry for him and I hope that he recovers quickly, both physically and emotionally. And I hope they find those 3 ******** and charge them with serious crimes.

Nicole

i can't help noticing he had "serious" wounds like scrapes, bruises and a broken nose. those are serious? hmm....

Skolo

Maybe he was beaten for being white. Of course, no one believes or cares that there are hate crimes against white people so it never makes the news....

Rob

I see the racist *******ger contingent is being well-represented on this board. Keep on truckin' loonies:)

daftshadow

Seems like he got mugged. 3AM in NY walking in the wrong streets. You're just asking for it.

MARGETALICA

WHEN THEY DO NOT PRINT A DISCRIPTION OF THE A TTACKERS KNOW IT IS BLACK ON WHITE CRIME - MOST OF THE TIME. LET ME QUESS BLACK MALES WEARING TANK TOPS BAGGY PANTS BECAUSE IT WAS TOO WARM FOR A HOODIE...

Nikkcolle

Getter better Gavin! You rock the piano live!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments