The Monkees

Don't Blame US for

MAJOR Tour Screwup!

8/9/2011 5:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0809-monkees-getty-EX
The Monkees ain't too busy to put anybody down these days ... because they're coming out swinging against the people they blame for screwing up the rest of their concert tour.

Earlier today, the band announced they would be canceling the remaining 9 dates on their U.S. tour ... but they wouldn't explain why.

Now, TMZ has spoken with a rep for drummer/ lead vocalist Micky Dolenz -- who tells us, "Management had booked a number of dates with the venues without running them by the group first ... so we had to cancel the remaining dates."

The rep adds, "Micky is disappointed but his solo tour is still going strong for the rest of the year."

There are rumors that the tour was canceled because Micky had checked himself into rehab for a substance abuse problem -- but the rep tells us it's total BS ... saying, "It has nothing to do with any sort of substance abuse whatsoever."

We tried getting in contact with the main person responsible for booking the tour -- but we were advised by his company that the man "no longer works here anymore."

Ouch.

Deborah

Hey Hey were the Monkeys and the chief say we monkey around, but were to busy singing to let anybody down....Love these guys.

Eppy 203

Very sad news for the fans. The guys put on a fabulous show and are rockin' it 45 years later. I saw them twice this tour, driving 6 hours round-trip for the second show. It was worth every penny and mile. Ticket sales were not the problem.

Sorry folks, but you don't know what you're talking about. They weren't allowed to play instruments on their first couple albums, but that was always their vocals you heard. Have you ever heard of the Wrecking Crew? Check it out, you might learn something. You'll find the Monkees weren't alone in using studio performers.

They wrote many of their songs and played their "own" instruments. They're very talented guys who could act, sing, dance, write, perform, etc. Peter Tork performed with George Harrison, the other three with Johnny Cash...they were respected by "respected" musicians and deserve more respect than these comments convey.

Eddie

A Mickey Dolenz solo tour??? WTF???

shotbykevin

I'm surprised any of the TMZ staff knew who the monkees were. Jodi - not true. the show in my city was almost sold out.

MariJoy

NoNoNoNo...Don't ****ter my illusions by showing their "now" picture...they're all the worse for wear (but aren't most all of us?)
I will remember them circa 1968, thankyouverymuch.

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

Darn, and I was so looking forward to seeing them too. I am ****tered. This is why I don't open my heart...How will I go on now that they have cancelled? :(

Johnny

I guess Nesmith still wants nothing to do with The Monkees.

Ghost Rider

Oh, but can you dig it, and did you know? lol.

Tammy

It amazes me that people still make the same tired old comments about The Monkees not "playing their own instruments" (well who's did they play?) or signing after 45 years! They sing and play very well-get over it already! Yes people DO care about The Monkees, they have legions of loyal fans and have been selling out venues all over the country. There has been NO indication of fighting within the group or health problems. If they say it is a business problem, I believe them. I am disappointed that I don't get to see them again this summer but I will continue to attend their solo shows and hope for more reunion tours.

dhurst

I went to a Monkees concert this summer. They performed to a full house (small venue, a few thousand seats) and rocked it out for over two hours straight. I expected to be the only person under 50 there -- or under 40, even -- and was surprised to see many young people (teens and younger), all of whom knew the words to every song. Say what you will, but they put on a great show. And Micky Dolenz is a lot more talented a performer than people credit any of the group.

Glen

Their excuse for canceling the rest of the tour makes no sense...sounds like Mickey is pounding the sauce again.

Alassin Addams

I was beyond thrilled that I could celebrate my birthday with them this year. Friends and I had major plans to see them in Hampton, NH but I guess The Monkees won't be making it.

chaz lane

They were coming to DPAC in NC..only the #9 venue in the country...

Jt

Oh boy, saw them preform on TV. Not so good. Don't quit your day job guys! I loved the Monkeys but time has not been good to them!

Jimmy Scalia

How ironic.....we were on the TMZ bus tour with Keith as our tour guy and also on the bus was an older fella by the name of Steve Blauner who was Bobby Darin's manager but also was VERY involved and contributed in the pop group "The Monkees".................kinda interesting!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments