Five Dead After Stage

Collapses At Sugarland

Show in Indiana

8/13/2011 6:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Five people are dead and 40 more injured after a stage collapsed tonight at the Indiana State Fair before the country band Sugarland was to perform.

High winds were believed to have been the cause.

A reporter for WANE-TV in Indiana was in the crowd at the time and described what happened like this: "The wind just picked up and the stage just caught and the roof just caught and it went up like a sail and then it crashed forward into the people standing in the front. There were people trapped underneath and everyone was running and screaming. They were asking any medics or nurses not to leave."

Sugarland Stage Collapse

Johnnyt

Tune ur TV to CNN. Press conference imminent.
Posted @ 2234 hrs EST.

Ashleyama06

I know people who were working the fair and they said a couple people have lost their lives...prayers to all involved

Cassi

ISP just confirmed 4 dead. Very tragic.

An

We drove home thru Greenwood to 60 miles north of Indy through this storm. We could see the storm and lightening for miles before we hit it.
Very strong winds and heavy rain.

andrea

ok i just got back to my hotel from the fairgrounds and it is truefull fighting out there right now i cant even put in to words what it it i have never been anything like this my boss was on the stage it is i dont know if what i have heard is correct but the lead singer and the drummer from sugarland my have been in the accident

vernillaice

I don't like the way you changed the website-everything is giant like I'm an old lady,I'm 32 and can see just fine!And it doesn't scroll down the same now!=(Harvey might be getting old but I'm not!Dislike the new layout!!!!!!!I watch your show everyday without an earhorn or a butterchurner..............super sucks-if something isn't broke-don't fix it!=(Love you,Charles!<3

Rocco

Video:

about 2 yrs ago

oh lordy, we pray for them

Rocco

The band is okay. Don't be starting rumors. Not funny.

Sugarlandmusic Sugarland
We are all right. We are praying for our fans, and the people of Indianapolis. We hope you'll join us. They need your strength.
1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Eric

There is only 3 dead and 24 confirmed injuries...that's from the coroner office.

axe

This is the second time a stage collapsed due to severe weather this year. Now we have fatalities, depressing.

Jim in Cali

Well damn that sucks. r.i.p and prayers to the ones hurt

eternalsgirl

Wonder if it is the same company that had the stage for the Cheap Trick concert in Ottawa that collapsed under wind in July.. tmz pls find out!

notta

Big lawsuits coming.

Kris

I was at the fair at the time of the collapse. I ran inside a building and turned around and all I saw was sand flying and everyone running toward me yelling that the stage collapsed. The wind was estimated at about 77 mph. There were no warnings from the fair grounds, no notification, just chaos. At least 2 people were up in the scaffolding on the stage setting up the lights when it fell.