'Barbershop' Actor

I Was Kicked Off Plane

Because I'm Black

9/1/2011 11:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0831_united_michael_colyar_getty_EXD

United Airlines is investigating a complaint made by an actor who appeared on the TV show "Barbershop" after he claimed he was kicked off of a flight simply because he was black.

Michael Colyar claims he was booted from his flight at Dulles International Airport in Virginia after he refused to allow a flight attendant to move his luggage from the overhead storage bin ... so a white passenger could stow her bag there instead.

Colyar claims the flight attendant gave him dirty looks when he denied her request -- so he inquired about filing a complaint. That's when Colyar says he was approached by security, who removed the actor from the flight.

Colyar blogged about the incident ... saying, "The flight attendant and her friend got just what they wanted, the n**ger off the plane. I'm sure they feel a great triumph in putting an uppity n**ger in his place."

He adds, "At the least I should be suing United Airlines for theft of services, public humiliation and defamation of character."

United Airlines tells TMZ ... "As a global airline with a diverse workforce, United has zero tolerance for any type of discrimination and we take every such matter seriously. We spoke to Mr. Colyar  Wednesday so that we can address his concerns, and committed to get back to him as we learn more from our coworkers and other customers onboard.”

Sources connected to the incident tell us multiple passengers have been interviewed about the situation -- and several people said Colyar was loud with the flight attendant and had become an unruly passenger.

peopleperson

So sick of the race card...THE PRESIDENT IS BLACK...GET OVER IT!!!!

Linda

I am so sick of the racist thing. Sometime Blacks are just trying to get a rise. The Blacks are really pushing it lately. I sneezed today so I must be a racist......Maxine Waters, Jesse Jackson and Rev.Wright just want to stir the pot and it's getting old. I'm not a racist but if the all keep this up I will end up that way. Sorry to my Mary my Black Sister-In-Law.

tellmeaboutit

Oh please. Is this a special cry baby bitching day for blacks? Here's a news bulletin for you, buddy. I'm sure there's more to this story, but I can guarantee nobody on that plane knew you or gave a sh*t who you are or think you are. Lots of black people fly every day. Thankfully, only ome of them are tools throwing the race card. Grow up and go away.

PRO US

This is a very strange story. If what he said is true, then it's truly bizarre. Why should any passenger have to move their luggage from the overhead bin so some other passenger can put their luggage there? The story doesn't make any sense. It's hard to believe that any flight attendant would do that to any passenger. If they did, it's outrageous and he should be apologized to and compensated. There's probably a lot more to the story than we're being told. I hope he wasn't discriminated against. That would be just horrible. Most people are nice. But there are still some prejudiced people out there. They shouldn't have the right to insult the customers of the companies they work for. Hope they can find out what the truth was there.

Greg

this all could've been avoided had he simply smiled and said " yes, you may move my bag."

Greg

I doubt they wanted to "move his bag" out of the overhead bin but rather rearrange it to accomodate the other persons bag. As a former flight attendant I was always rearranging bags after theyre just thrown up there without consideration for maximizing space. Colyar got what he deserved for being an a-hole. Kudos to the FA for having him removed cuz if he was being like this on the ground who knows how difficult he would'e been airborne.

Bob

Sorry pal, the public humiliation was self inflicted, and as for Defamation of character,,, well you have to have some character first!

Bob Bain

This is a perfect example of Racism in America. The biggest example of racism in America today is coming from Blacks being racists against others. Time for your chip to be knocked off that shoulder. Learn respect and you will be respected.

anna

blacks love saying that everything is because they're black..come on man, this is 2011..no way it was because you're black! He was obviously loud and rude like the other passengers said.

Stevie Mack

This guy won the top prize on Star Search back in the day. $100,000 and he gave every nickel of it to the homeless. Anyone that generous can't be all bad.

Whatsgoingon

Good Grief! How long are we going to throw out that race card. I cannot believe this man used "Uppity N". Did that come right from the underground railroad. Grow up and move on.

Sloane

what if the lady in question was frail, elderly, nervous flyer and stressing about losing her luggage...oh and happened to be white
would he be claiming racism/discrimination was the reason....
probably!
can not see professionals at UA doing this
they had to have been a reason for their request
and he wouldn't have been booted from the flight unless he caused a major scene and disrupted everything/everyone

Cody

The race card has been so misused that its gotten to the point where people are immune to being called racist. Used to it was offensive to be called racist but now its like who cares if you think I am and a lot of people feel that way.

Moe Howard

This race obsessed A-hole deserved to get booted from the flight. It wasnt just another passenger, it was a "white" passenger. What a race baiter. Go take a taxi, oh wait, they might not pick you up! hahahahahahha

Middletownman

Ni@@ers are allowed. Uppity ni@@ers are not.