Jim Carrey

I'm Fighting 'The Man'

... with a Spray Can!!

9/8/2011 4:08 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0908_jim_carrey_Vnew_EX
Jim Carrey
is leading a 1-man rebellion against New York City officials who claim he has NO RIGHT to spray paint the front of his art studio ... and he's exacting revenge with the help of his imaginary friend.

Carrey tells TMZ ... the drama began when city officials painted over some "street art" he had spray painted on the outside wall of his West Village art studio.

Carrey says the street art featured an image of a character he created named "Baba" -- a "mischievous deity ... [who] exists in negative space."

So today, Carrey stuck it to The Man with a brand new piece of street art on the same wall -- featuring another image of Baba ... along with the message, "This graffiti reapplied pursuant to ... [Baba]"

Carrey tells TMZ ... he's not upset with the city worker who painted over his work ... saying, "This gentleman has a job to do" ... but he adds, "I'm just doing my job now as an artist and putting it back up."

He adds, "They can take it down again if they want to and it's OK with me ... I'll even pay for it."

0908_jim_carrey_sub_swipe

Zell

What kind of idiot decided a guy can't spray paint his own garage door? It's not hurting anyone...

Abaddon

Fight the Power! Surprisingly, Ace Ventura isn't that bad of a tagger. - Abaddon

two cents

It's graffiti and it's an eyesore. I don't blame the city. The city should just hire someone to keep painting the door and send that idiot the bill each time. See who quits first.

Chrissy

Stick it to the man, Jimbo!

me

It's not that good.

jimbo

Ya, it's graffiti no matter what. Not that good either, but still a fan. Wish the old Jim Carrey would come back. Mr.Poppers? What the f**k?

bring back recent posts

...HAHAHA...I love Jim..he is soooo friggen talented on so many levels...keep rebelling Jim!

Meanie

Go Jim... you show em that the Canadians won't be shoved around.

tazer

Ugh what kind of city officials have the right to touch somebodys private property? HE OWNS IT HE CAN PAINT WHATEVER HE WANTS ON IT!

Cujeaux

The midlife crisis is still in full effect I see....

static

He should have taken Charlie's place on 2 1/2.

Gary

Looks like he has no talent as a tagger EITHER. He's no Banksy.
Not only that but he is the most obnoxious,self-obssessed
person in the world (next to Sarah Palin)

BlackMan

Funny thing about this is that If a black man did this in the US of A, Police would have showed and throw him into jail for sticking up to the MAN! Wow, T.I got locked up for talking business, Man breaks a LAW and even got media attention with no consequence. SMH

Cathy

I wish I had seen the original. The message "We Just Multiply" is inside a second image. Was this in the original or is he planning to add another image each time it's removed? I can't decide if Mr. Carrey is off his rocker or a PR genius. I guess I'll have to watch and see, which may be another part of his plan.

TMZ_Watcher

I like JIm and hope he's not having a nervous breakdown because this is how this comes across. Even though he seems well within his rights to "decorate" his garage anyway he sees fit as long as there is no hate messages written. I hope your ok JIm, if not give this fellow Toronotian a ding

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments