Marty McFly Shoe Buyer

It Was a "Spur of the Moment Decision"

9/9/2011 12:31 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0909_tiny_tempah_ex_4
The British rapper who dropped $37,500 on the badass new Marty McFly kicks tells TMZ, he wasn't planning to buy them at last night's L.A. auction -- he just got caught up in the moment.

Tinie Tempah tells us, "It was a total spur of the moment decision. I was really touched in the moment by the presentation and next thing I knew I owned these iconic sneakers."

Tinie -- a longtime sneaker-collector -- says he's also a HUGE fan of "Back to the Future" ... so the shoes "were an all-around great purchase that will go on to help [The Michael J. Fox Foundation]."

Tinie adds, "I feel fortunate to be able to help."

Hutch

Chris Rock was right. "We are some money-wastin' mothaf**kas!"

trieu

$37k shoes also got him free advertising. Didn't know who this guy was until now

Pimpcessa

Best $37,500. that man ever spent. Now he's been on 2 posts in one day, here at TMZ. Yo man, you FAMOUS now!! Actually, all joking aside, that was an awsome contribution to a great cause. Way to go, might just want to check out your music now....

pedro

can we have more news on this? it is breathtaking reporting - I am hungry for more about anything McFly, Perhaps we can have a pic of him taking a dump wearing them next.....

Chris

He must have been smoked out on the good stuff when he bought this pair of shoes.

kingborg

nice everyone wins on this.

Trevis Miho

I'll be disappointed if I don't see a music video of his with him wearing these - now that I know who he is. All jokin' and hatin' aside, much respect to him for supporting a cause and gettin' some DOPE kicks from it...even though he might've bought'em anyway if there WERE no cause.

Laura

That was a wonderful thing to do! And they are COOL shoes!

MoonDust

Love his "Written in the Stars" song!

Icebaby... is back dude

Rappers kill it. And not in a good way.

JAN

At LEAST it's for charity and come on, WHO DOESN'T LOVE BACK TO THE FUTURE?!

Bad Motherhugger

I have no idea what the "shoe collector's market" is like, I had no idea that there is such a market to begin with. I wonder whether these shoes will actually increase in value over time and, if so, how much? Genuine movie props and film memorabilia can be good investments, but these shoes are replicas and probably not even particularly accurate ones.

I guess it all comes down to the first law of assessing the value of any and all collector's items: A collector's item is worth whatever some crazy, über-enthusiastic fanboi is willing to cough up for it.

CoolVanilla300C

Seriously, was this really worth two stories on the same subject.....on the same website?

Promote much?

wolf

atleast he can say hes the mcflyest mc out till byrdman drops a 100,000 for 2 pairs

Zell

I really dislike rap, but the guy knew it was for a good cause, and he's actually a fan of BTTF. I don't care if rappers burn their money, so long as it goes to a good cause. And Nike is making like 1500 pairs of these shoes? Imagine how much money they can raise when a single pair sold for 37500$.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments