George Stephanopoulos

Too Short for Morning TV?

9/12/2011 7:03 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0909_gma_EX
George Stephanopoulos
could lose his "Good Morning America" anchor chair within a year to the news reader who towers over him ... this according to network sources.

The buzz at ABC is that Josh Elliott -- a former ESPN sports anchor who has been the GMA news reader since March -- is on the fast track for the anchor seat.  Josh filled in on "World News Tonight" last week and network suits are in love with him.

The network will deny it's contemplating a change, but that's not what we're hearing.

The ratings at GMA have actually gone up a bit with George, so why would the network mess with the show?  Our sources say the suits think Josh and Robin Roberts have better chemistry and look better together.

Our sources say the buzz is that George could go back to his old job, anchoring "This Week," especially because execs privately now admit Christiane Amanpour is a disaster as an anchor.

Now why, you ask, do they look better than Robin and George?  Robin is 5'10" without heels.  Josh is around 6'3."  George is 5'6" ... and a half.  There's a lot of talk at ABC that it just looks awkward when the male anchor is slight and short.

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

update_bar
7:55 AM: An ABC News spokeswoman tells TMZ, "This is Total Nonsense."

0912_little_people_footer

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Cheryl

I think they should get rid of Robin Roberts. She is the boring disaster on the show and does not have chemistry with anyone. She jokes around but tries to hard to be believable. No one can take Diane Sawyer's place but someone like Maria Schriver would be much more of an asset. I love Josh but I think George is much more knowledgeable about world events. I don'*****ch so much because of Robin.

AntiSocialForum.com

Fire them all and hire a bunch of midgets. I'd watch Good Morning America then.

Victoria

I love George as an anchor on GMA i hope they dont replace him. Unless he really wants to go back to This Week. But i thought he really enjoyed GMA.

rjmorita

Too short for TV? That's the dumbest thing I heard. Is it legal to discriminate based on the height?

Gsharon 710

How sad to ignore ability for looks .

Liz

I love George and would hate to see him replaced. I qui*****ching "This Week" after watching Christine A. twice...the show is nothing since George left it.

Deb

Wouldn't it be discrimination to fire someone because he's too short? People can't control their height. That's just ridiculous.

kar

I think they should get rid of them all. The show is so boring.

Sheri

I think they should keep it the way it is. I liked JuJu but I think Josh is better and more fun. Robin, Josh and George work great together and have alot of chemistry including Sam and Lara. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Strokadellic

Well, when you're competing with chicks who have man-bodies...and you're short on top of that...you stand no chance when heels are involved. Sorry dude. Better luck next lifetime.

Bippy

How can we know what he is carrying BELOW THE BELT??? or do you all mean "VERTICALLY CHALLENGED"???

Sheri

I am Spartacus

Its sounds more like TMZ is making the assumption he's being fired over his height. Just because GMA says "they look better together" doesn't mean its the only reason they are making the change. Perhaps they're hoping having Josh can bring in the younger audience or guys who saw him on ESPN.

And its Hollywood, its not discrimination. You're judge on your appearance all the time, except at TMZ where they stick some pretty ugly people on tv but even TMZ tries hiding the fat, black girl behind a desk and put what they think are the better looking people up front. But unfortionately they don't have much to choose from in that office so they stick the bitchy blode girl, the idiot Max and the brunette with the glasses in the front while hiding the other gremlins in that office.

Taylor Dadson

That's what I call 2 and a half men.

Cheryl A.

When will everyone stop judging people by their height?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments