« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Floyd Mayweather

Goes Nuclear on Sportscaster After Fight

9/18/2011 7:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

091811_floyd_video
Floyd Mayweather Jr. was still jonesing for a fight after his controversial knockout of Victor Ortiz last night, so he started one ... with an 80-year-old sportscaster!

During the post-fight interview, Floyd started screaming at HBO's Larry Merchant, getting up in his face and yelling, "You never give me a fair shake. HBO need to fire you. You don't know s**t about boxing. You ain't s**t! You're not s**t!"

But Merchant didn't back down, getting in the final words when he said, "I wish I was 50 years younger and I'd kick your a**."

Frisky old guy, ain't he?

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Anon

The problem is that Larry does this CONSTANTLY to Money after every bout. I would have sided with Larry if this was a unique case, but I knew he would say something about the headbutt and the KO in a manner not fitting for a post-fight interview JUST BECAUSE it was Floyd.

When it actually transpired, I couldn't feel sorry for Larry but rather thought "he had it coming".

I got tired of Larry's antics who always finds a hole to squirm through and disrespect the winner. It was clear that he was biased against Money by the way he was coaxing Ortiz about the headbutt.

Disgrace on both fighters, the ref, and Larry. The people that lost out are those that forked over $60... for the fight. *******, get Pac and Floyd in the ring and lets cap off the sport.

Phil

How its voted 75% yes say its a cheap shot is beyond me. The rounds are 3 minutes long. You cant call a time out in the middle of a round to sit down and chat or take a break. Ortiz was the stupid one for not keeping his guard up at all times. Until that bell rings, you need to protect yourself.

Brandon

I respect the old guy has been doing that for a long time. But damn, he's 80 and it takes him 40 minutes to say "This is a sentance.".

Fire his old ass, disrespectful.

TMZ Is Destined To Be The Next News of The World

I didn't see the fight but I heard about it and Mayweather's exchange with Merchant. Mayweather is a bona fide biyotch in my opinion. He can talk all that ish to an octogenarian but his biyotchty self won't fight Pacqaio. You know why? Because he's scared. My Mom and Dad always said "A monkey knows what tree to climb." And no I'm not calling Mayweather a monkey. That saying just means that people know who to try and who not to try. He don't want it with Pacqaio.

Russell

The facts are the Ref with his hands signaled to box and vocally said "lets go", fighters touched gloves, Floyd then punched. IT is clearly a Ortiz mistake.

F*** tmz

This fight was fixed. I paid 60 for a fight that didnt even last four rounds. Mayweather is just a lame a** fighter, let's see him get in the ring with pacquiao then we'll see who's the better fighter.

Diandra

Larry Merchant takes cheap shots. He should retire. Floyd is right.

rico

HE IS JUST A THUG, AND THE THANKING GOD THING, PLEASE.....

Aldo

WAIT THE QUESTION IS VERY CONFUSING... A CHEAP SHOT AT WHO?

justme

IF THE FIGHT WAS READY TO BE RESUMED THEN Y WASNT THE REF LOOKING AT THEM?? LOOK At his face, he looks shocked!ORTIZ IS A SELLOUT! HE SEEMS TOO HAPPY TO LOSE N MAYWEATHER WITH ALL HIS MILLIONS CANT GET RESPECT BECAUSE HE IS A DIRTY ASS FIGHTER,FAKE ASS FIGHT!

mr Minty

Here we go again! "Beware the fury of the Non combatant!"
They drone on with their pet questions, just waiting for the
boxer to draw a breath, but not listening. Merchant is from
the old Howard Cosell school, injecting their slant, right
or wrong.
He clearly goaded Pretty Boy Floyd on a subject unknown
to him-giving or taking a perfect punch! In this case Floyd
nailed Ortiz making him like a guy who had 6 Beers! NOW he
knocks him out BEFORE he regains his senses and comes back, thats what they got Referees for!

rebecca

the referee wasnt even out of the way wtf?! cant wait til pacman breaks his face!

Keith

Mayweather made $25-$40 million last night. The attitude is just part of his persona that makes people watch. If he fights Pacman, he could have a $50 million payday and retire, win or lose. So, it's not about the money. It's about ego. I agree with those who think Mayweather was right in hammering Ortiz. The ref had started the round, they had touched gloves, and the fight was on. Too bad Ortiz let his guard down. Maybe he was trying to sucker Mayweather and it backfired.

me

usually i am a good person who wouldn't wish anything bad on another person but Larry Merchant is a bloodsucking monster. i can't wait for this prick to die so i can pee on this grave. this is just a waste of a human being.

Louie

It was a legal but classless KO. Ortiz was is idiot, they already hugged earlier why did he do it again. It seems like Ortiz was just happy with the $2.5 million paycheck he got for the fight. Floyd is the real winner, he gets the W, the belt, and $25 million.