« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Hank Williams Lashes Back!

You Didn't Fire Me

... I QUIT!!!!!

10/6/2011 9:33 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hank Williams
Are you ready for some controversy???

Hank Williams Jr. claims his departure from "Monday Night Football" was by his OWN doing  ... insisting he was NOT fired by ESPN.

Williams released a statement ... saying, "After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision."

He adds, "By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE.  It’s been a great run.”

It looks like ESPN beat Hank by several minutes in posting its announcement about the separation.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Diandra

He's offensive to the viewers.

HRH Prince Michael

Be not further deceived: ESPN/ABC/Disney and the N.F.L. have committed to a very regrettable -time shall PROVE me correct- precedence. With more and more Constitutionally-protected Rights and Freedoms being craftily and cunningly
encroached upon by self-anointed "Powers-that-WON'T-be", the words of TRUE patriots shall powerfully resound:
"Don't tread on me" (Colonial Troop ship flag)

"I tremble for my country when I think GOD is Just"
Thomas Jefferson

"No greater Victory is secured, as when deception is used
to combat Truth"
His Highness Prince Michael

good as gold

How can you explain Hank Jr making a dumb analogy, then apologizing for it, then retracting his apology by stating his constitutional toes were stepped on? I wonder if Hank Jr was or is under the influence of alcohol or drugs [illegal or prescription] because no-one in a proper frame of mind would make that kind of analogy on a nationally televised t.v. program, then apologize for it, then retract the apology for it! He behavior is all over the place.

travisv23

Technically, he did quit. They didn't fire him completely, just placed him more on a suspension/probation. He was to come back the following game. So, by all accounts, him saying he quit is entirely accurate.

msg

Gee, nobody is disagreeing w/ Hank's comments, only that he said them out loud! haha. Obama is a disgrace. The only good thing about MNF was the song at the start - not going to bother watching unless it's a really big game. ABC is a PC-inflicted cancer.

washout22

Like this doped up has been's opinion matters. It's like asking Gary Busey, or even Charlie Manson's political opinion. It's like asking the WWF's Mankind what his political views are. ESPN had no choice but to sever ties with this druggy. Have some more meds Hank.

washout22

The thing that really bothers me about this guy is that he couldn't fight his way out of a wet bag and comes off as a tough guy. He has a big mouth because he owns guns and thinks he's king kong. Well let me tell you something Big-Mouth-Hank....you're opinion don't amount to a pinch of chit. ESPN had no choice but to let your dumb azz go. Go back to your pills and die already.

noneofyourbusiness

I think the 7 pages of comments on this subject goes to show that we (myself included obviously) have way too much time on our hands. We are commenting on who is right and wrong when really who even frigging cares. We could be out making a difference in the world and we are on TMZ arguing like Hank Williams or ESPN gives two ****s about any of us.

TheUltraworld

I think he'*****tin' the sauce again.

Caramia

I think it's sad they they think people are so small-minded that they would base their opinions on something - just by something a "star"has said... I'm smarter than that, thanks.
Not only that but, everyone is all for 'freedom of speech' until a "star" voices their opinion. Then, it's like call in the dogs! It's so lame.

Johnny Handsome

Man, this guy looks like an ass-backwards hill-billy.

Jean

Where in the 1st amendment does it say "and you get to say anything you please without any consequences"? ESPN didn't step on any amendment. You're just guaranteed that you don't have go to jail or get beheaded in this country for saying what you want--that's about it! You can still get fired, people can stop buying your music, your wife can leave you...whatever. that's everyone else exercising THEIR 1st amendment rights Hank, just like you.

maxx

He has the right to say what he wants to.Hell everyone else does...Everybody's favorite thing in 2011 is to JUDGE JUDGE JUDGE what everyone says..so to hell with what people think..Freedom of speach people!

Mayu

What he said wasn't racist, it wasn't violent or inciting violence, and it wasn't like a million Americans didn't say the same thing about Bush.

Mayu

Actually Jean... Companies are technically not suppose to fire someone based on their political or religious beliefs, sexual orientation or race. They fired him solely because he said something about Obama which, is illegal these days. (its especially heinous in the eyes of those who did the same freaking thing to Bush.) So yeah, they technically are stepping on his freedom of speech. He didn't say anything racist, violent, violence inciting or something others haven't said about other past and present political figures. So the firing was uncalled for and over stepped their bounds as employers. They had the right to do it, doesn't mean it was the right thing to do.