Jennifer Tilly

Fancy Boutique Screwed Me

Over a Ring

10/14/2011 5:48 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jennifer Tilly
File under rich people's problems. Jennifer Tilly claims one of the most expensive stores in L.A. royally ripped her off, charging her more than $69,000 for what she thought was a $15,000 ring.

Tilly -- who played Jim Carrey's sexy blonde client in "Liar Liar" -- claims she went to Maxfield in April and fell in love with a gold ring that was on display.  She says a clerk told her the ring cost $15 grand, so obviously she bought it.

But when the cashier processed the purchase, Jen was charged $69,500 -- PLUS TAX -- on her AmEx card.  She didn't notice the discrepancy until she received her AmEx bill several weeks later.

Jennifer says she went back to the store but the Maxfield people turned their noses up at her -- allegedly.

So the actress filed a lawsuit against the fancy schmancy store, asking to undo the deal and get her money back.

A lawyer for Maxfield tells TMZ, the store has been in business for 42 years and has always treated its clients in an ethical manner.

Lasith

SHE DESERVES TO DIE LIEK MICHAEL JACKSON CLEAN BOWLED LASITHHHHHH

Criss

She's still a total knockout!

Sir Boo

One way to get your name back in the media.

sparced

and when the receipt shows up for $69k with her signature on it, then what is she going to say?

i'm calling bs.... post the receipt

tomsonmi02

BEST.. My friends told me about [Hotβlαckwhitе.С’⊙M ]--told It’s the best pla;ce to meet bla;ck wh;te s;ingles. Come in and stay a while. Complete your profile. Post a message, a picture of yourself and check out the photo galleries. Give it a try, you will find someone you like there... ;)I love Keith's song best

ChloeMarie

And somewhere a child is slowly starving to death...

lil harvey

Hey Jenny, where's Chucky?????

lil harvey

Hey Jennifer, where's Chucky these days????

lil harvey

Hey Jenny, where's Chucky????

Alber

In court, when the Maxfield presents
the credit card voucher, DID YOU
SIGN it w/the $69,500+ balance?
From what I hear, that's what I be-
lieve's the issue.

Ace

Same thing happened to me: Went into Walmart, bought a $10 ring, charged it. When I got my bill they charged me $12. I was sooo mad. Lawsuit pending!

Jt

What idiot doesn't look at the amount before they sign the bill? if she didn't, she deserves whatever they charged her!

Swins

I'd bet the clerk did a 25% off the retail price and quoted her the 25% and not the real price. Then it got rung up at the real price and she either ignored the receipt or was just being stupid.

Truth

YEA WITH THE NEW CHIP CARDS YOU DONT NEED SIGNATURES. ONLY WAY IS IF SHE GOT A RECEIPT DIFFERENT THAN THE CHARGED AMOUNT ON THE CARD. THEN IT'S FRAUD.

LULU

Obviously people here don't have AMEX. If she truly put it on that card, then she has 90 day buyer protection (assuming it's atleast Platinum, given she's charging that much), and AMEX will deal with it. She would be covered for theft, loss, damage and returns even if the merchant doesn't allow it! They HAVE TO under AMEX merchant agreement! This is ALL baloney..............movie coming out???

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments