Mickey Rooney

Slammed by Former Asst.

'Gruff, Hostile and Rude'

10/20/2011 3:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1020_mickey_rooney_getty_ex
90-year-old Mickey Rooney is not the sweet, adorable guy he appears to be ...  at least according to legal docs filed by his former assistant, who claims the actor is a mean, abusive old man.

The woman behind the allegations is Cindy Smith -- who claims she served as Mickey's right hand lady from 1984 to 1991 and again from 2000 to 2010.

Rooney's lawyers recently filed a lawsuit against Smith -- accusing her of elder abuse and fraud.  But in new court documents, Smith says she is the real victim, because Rooney was a stubborn and abusive boss ... and all she did was try to look out for his best interests.

In the docs, Smith explains, "Mickey was condescending and gruff, hostile and rude, insulting and dismissive, and yelled quite often."

Cindy also claims Mickey was always looking to get himself involved in "get rich quick schemes" -- and she and Mickey's stepson would constantly have to protect him from squandering his money.

We've reached out to Mickey's lawyers for comment -- so far, no response.

1020_mickey_rooney_footer

AlwaysOnTimeB

That's why I could never be a personal assistant to ANY Star!

Jack

He's been married 8 times. Not usually the sign of an easy going guy.

kingborg

yet this person went back to work form him. gee can we say LIAR!

gemini81

I never pictured him being nice, he seemed like a closet Andy Rooney if you ask me! But hey, by age 90 a lot of people just don't give a siht anymore, so I guess I'm not surprised. I'd give people hell if I were 90 too.

birdbath

Leave the old man alone.

Fallopia Lopez

Why does he need an assistant? I think he last worked in 1952...

The Love Sponge

He beat up Ava Gardner.

Criss

He's been doing plenty since 1952. Just check his imdb page.

ladeedi

So, she served as Mickey's right hand lady from 1984 to 1991 and again from 2000 to 2010. Did she really think he was going to change after working for him the first time? He's 90 years old! He can be as condescending and gruff, hostile and rude, insulting and dismissive, and yell quite often, as he wants. I figure he's earned that right. And to top it off, it's HIS money, he earned it and he can do whatever he wants with it. No Assistant or Step-Son should be telling him what to do with his money. - Or do they just want to make sure there's plenty for them after Mickey passes away?

eicarr

Duh! He's known for that always. He screwed his career up for this.

Fun thing to listen to the DVD commentary on his Twilight Zone episode. He wants to get into it with the historian on there with him, especially when he tried to bring up the fact that people used to make jokes about him being short(not in a mean way, but because of the content of the episode). Then they finally work things out, but he then disses everyone for not making and viewing content like this today. Hey, he's cool, but I'm not going to work with him, and Cindy knew what she was getting into.

aquanet

I have a 94 year old aunt who was the sweetest old lady. Old age has turned her into someone I don't know. Susupicious, ungrafeful, angry, bitter and accusing everyone of doing this or that to her. I took care of her like she was my mother and she still is a miserable soul. So I get this. I think old age is getting the best of him. But the caretaker should know that. Why sue?

LI_Mom

Not at all surprised.

But I suspect there's a lot more to the story than he was hard to work for. She left & came back.

KellyGal

He's an ass. I ran into him twice at restaurants in Southern California and he was demanding and rude to the waitstaff, expecting to be treated like a star and demanding that he be served first even though we (and other diners) had ordered long before he even arrived. At the first restaurant I told him he was being rude and he pulled the old "Don't you know who I am?!?" routine. He's an old, bitter ass. His poor wife...she seemed horrified. But then again, she's still married to the guy, so I can't feel too sorry for her. It's her choice. Hope the woman wins her suit.

KellyGal

I forgot to add. The restaurant incidents were about 20 years apart (1980 and 2001) and his attitude was identical in each of them. Once an ass, always an ass. Your true nature will always show through. IMHO.

Ruth

Um, let's see that is approximately 16-17 years she stay employed by him.....couldn't have been too bad...she stayed.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments