Heavy D

Dead at 44

11/9/2011 5:28 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1108_heavyd_EX_02
update_bar
5:12 PM:  An associate of Heavy D's just told us the rapper had pneumonia.

4:28 PM:  Law enforcement tell TMZ ... Heavy D had just returned from shopping and walked up some stairs when he began having trouble breathing.  Adam Mills, a designer who was in the building and knew Heavy D, found him leaning against a railing and clearly in distress.  Adam tells us he cradled Heavy D in his lap as others called 911.  Adam says Heavy D was conscious and said to him, "I can't breathe, I can't breathe."  When paramedics took Heavy D to the hospital he had a pulse.  People in the building are saying he died of a heart attack, but we have not been able to confirm that.  Law enforcement sources tell us ... no foul play was involved and so far they only know the cause of death was "medical."

------------------------

Rap legend Heavy D -- one of the most influential rappers of the '90s -- died earlier today ... TMZ has learned.

Heavy D -- real name Dwight Arrington Myers -- was rushed to an L.A. hospital around noon today ... and was pronounced dead at the hospital at 1 PM. He was 44 years old.

We've learned a 911 call was placed from Heavy's Beverly Hills home around 11:25 AM to report an unconscious male on the walkway .

When help arrived, we're told Heavy D was conscious and speaking -- and was transported to a nearby hospital.

He died a short time later.

Cops are investigating the death -- and so far, there are no obvious signs of foul play. Police are currently at the home.

1108_heavys_house_tmz_wm
Heavy D had several massive hits -- including "Now That We Found Love." He also wrote and performed the theme song for "In Living Color" ... and appeared as an actor in the movie "Life."

Heavy just performed at the Michael Jackson Tribute Concert in Wales on October 8. He sang "Jam" with La Toya Jackson -- and rocked it (video below).

110811_heavy_d_still

Eddie F -- one of the founding members of Heavy D & the Boyz -- issued a heartfelt statement about his longtime friend ... saying, "We were only young kids out of high school when we got into the game just wanting to make fun music filled with love and excitement."

"We always had so much fun as a group. I cherish all the happy times we had together while unknowingly helping to build the movement and legacy we call Uptown Records" ... adding, "I love you Hev and we all will miss you so much."

1108-heavy-d-remember

More Today in TMZ History

Douche_McGee

RIP Heavy D. You will be misses

WHY GOD, WHY? WHY DO YOU TAKE HEAVY D AND LEAVE US WITH THE KARDASHIANS?

drizella

Wow...this is shocking. RIP Heavy D. My prayers are with his family and friends:(

Proud2Bblack

One of my all time favorite ole school rappers "Over Weight Lover Heavy D" R.I.P. damnnnnn

Keeda Kollins

This is a sad day for all of us and the music industry, I just want to say my prayers go out to him and his family. RIP Heavy D we will all miss you.

EARLINE

WE WILL REAALLY MISS YOU HEAVY D...

drelam0699

RIP HEAVY D!! You will be missed. Prayers go out to the family and friends.

Proud2Bblack

Jodi

Oh no no no. Heavy D was cool. Never heard anything about him in drugs or anything like that. This is a shock. I bet it had something to do with his health, hence the name Heavy D. Please keep us updated TMZ.

Em

RIP Heavy D. Thanks for the great music and memories because of that same music!

Renee Fischer

REST IN PEACE- Gone too soon.

Devin

So sad. He was one of my favorite rappers back in the days. His music was up beat and I always felt happy when listening to his music. You will truely be missed Heavy D.

levonia

WOW!!! I'm so shocked to hear about Heavy D's passing!May he RIP and may GOD have mercy on his family.

luvlady

Man life is so very short. I feel for his family my prayers goes out to you all. He touched alot of people with his music cause I LOVED IT. The only heavy person that I ever saw so smooth on his feet.

david 183

Very sad to hear this may you RIP

Miss Lisa

I love me some big boys because of this man. He was too sexy RIP my over weight lover