Heavy D

Dead at 44

11/9/2011 5:28 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1108_heavyd_EX_02
update_bar
5:12 PM:  An associate of Heavy D's just told us the rapper had pneumonia.

4:28 PM:  Law enforcement tell TMZ ... Heavy D had just returned from shopping and walked up some stairs when he began having trouble breathing.  Adam Mills, a designer who was in the building and knew Heavy D, found him leaning against a railing and clearly in distress.  Adam tells us he cradled Heavy D in his lap as others called 911.  Adam says Heavy D was conscious and said to him, "I can't breathe, I can't breathe."  When paramedics took Heavy D to the hospital he had a pulse.  People in the building are saying he died of a heart attack, but we have not been able to confirm that.  Law enforcement sources tell us ... no foul play was involved and so far they only know the cause of death was "medical."

------------------------

Rap legend Heavy D -- one of the most influential rappers of the '90s -- died earlier today ... TMZ has learned.

Heavy D -- real name Dwight Arrington Myers -- was rushed to an L.A. hospital around noon today ... and was pronounced dead at the hospital at 1 PM. He was 44 years old.

We've learned a 911 call was placed from Heavy's Beverly Hills home around 11:25 AM to report an unconscious male on the walkway .

When help arrived, we're told Heavy D was conscious and speaking -- and was transported to a nearby hospital.

He died a short time later.

Cops are investigating the death -- and so far, there are no obvious signs of foul play. Police are currently at the home.

1108_heavys_house_tmz_wm
Heavy D had several massive hits -- including "Now That We Found Love." He also wrote and performed the theme song for "In Living Color" ... and appeared as an actor in the movie "Life."

Heavy just performed at the Michael Jackson Tribute Concert in Wales on October 8. He sang "Jam" with La Toya Jackson -- and rocked it (video below).

110811_heavy_d_still

Eddie F -- one of the founding members of Heavy D & the Boyz -- issued a heartfelt statement about his longtime friend ... saying, "We were only young kids out of high school when we got into the game just wanting to make fun music filled with love and excitement."

"We always had so much fun as a group. I cherish all the happy times we had together while unknowingly helping to build the movement and legacy we call Uptown Records" ... adding, "I love you Hev and we all will miss you so much."

1108-heavy-d-remember

More Today in TMZ History

Ewms32

Another Rap Icon Gone to Soon.....R.I.P...HEAVY D...

buzz kill

Dam! thats one less brother for Kim K. Dam!

Sheryl Thomas

I'm so sorry to here about Heavy D.

belieber22

Apparently, last month was the only time Heavy ever performed his rap from Jam live... so sad :(

TRick

wow, RIP Heavy D.......to his family stay strong!!

ShaneOmac

I would ask if Conrad Murray was his Doctor, but I'll probably have a bunch of people with no sense of humor saying "Too Soon!"

anonpersonage

RIP Heavy D ... http://www.truthaboutdeath.com/

COCOBROWN

AFTER VOTING GOT IN THE CAR AND JUST HEARD ABOUT HEAVY D'S PASSING. I MEAN WHAT A SHOCKER!!! MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO HIS FAMILY WHO HE LOVED OH SO VERY MUCH.AND TO US HIS FANS. HE WILL BE TRULY MISSED. TAY

NobodySpecial

I love HD but we didn't get "Now That We Found Love" from him, it was recorded a long time ago. I think Third World did the best but whatever, it's cool.....

Ikaika

It's hard to believe that he's dead at such a young age. I remember seeing him a few weeks ago where he played a perp on LAW AND ORDER. I also remember him in LIVIN' SINGLE, THE CIDER HOUSE RULES, and doing the theme from IN LIVING COLOR.

Staceyann Dolenti

Heavy D ~ R.I.P.

staceyann dolenti

janet

Of course LaToya Jackson 56, who bad mouthed her brother how many times to make money? Oh, that's right they were so close. Also, of course they were all good friends.

Hans

LaToya looks like Ace Frehley in that pic

matt

wow he will be missed. wow, can't believe so many have gone home.rip big man

mamajj