'Jersey Shore' Lawsuit

MTV Stole My Friggin' Idea!

11/20/2011 5:40 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jersey Shore Lawsuit
The world would not have The Situation, Snooki or GTL if it weren't for a guy named Bruce Hulse -- or at least that's what he claims ... in a new lawsuit alleging MTV jacked the idea for "Jersey Shore" after he pitched the show to network execs.

Hulse filed suit in Los Angeles Superior Court earlier this month, claiming he and his production company set up a meeting with MTV honchos back in 2006, where he pitched his idea for a show called, "Jersey Shore."

In his suit, Hulse claims he even showed execs a video he made which featured, "stereotypical young men and women from New Jersey who were spending their summer in and around the New Jersey shore beaches and cities."

Hulse claims MTV "expressed interest" in the project and promised to pay him if they ever went forward with the idea ... but he never heard back and was SHOCKED when "Jersey Shore" premiered on the network in 2009.

Hulse is suing for unspecified damages -- probably safe to assume he wants something in the 7-figure range.

Calls to MTV were not returned.

SantaFeJack

A little slow to get with the lawsuit, isn't he?

Jackie

Ha ha....He's looking for x-mas money.

mildly insane

So he is to blame

UPYOURS

Mind you, I have never seen Jersey Whores, but it took him two years to figure out that THEIR Jersey Whores was HIS Jersey Whores?

hatybi

Interesting information.The Truth Plus Sensitivity, Specificity and All That Is Decent to Reveal About Predictive Values This theme serves to educate people in their daily life, thanks to people like you we have more knowledge about this important issue.

British Food

Rosa

Sure took him a while to "get around" to sue - whatever!!!

vixis

This guy waits 2 years to sue, he should have done it the first notice of the show.

HEYuILLGETu

some of u who commented are true idiots.. why would u not WAIT.. 1-2 yrs the show got big and has more appeal to fans.. which means worth a lot more to MTV..then if he did it 2 weeks after it aired... so now its WORTH MORE morons!
u people are brain dead

Chatoxred

Now, I think MTV has had a show like Jersey Shore in mind for a while now because back in like 2004 or something like that I remember watching True Life and it was an episode on 'Jersey Shore'. I just looked it up and it says the correct name of that segment was 'True Life: I'm a Jersey Shore Girl' and I think the one about a summer share home also took place at Jersey Shore.

So this guy didn't really bring this 'NEW' idea to MTV when they had already aired an hour of 'Jersey Shore' back in 2004/2005.

BRIAN

1. your an idiot.
2. your an idiot for not getting that statement about them paying you in writing
3. are you really proud that you came up with one of the most ridiculous shows in the history of devolving humans?

lmvela1987

I don't about you but if I ever pitched any type of show to any network I would get some kind of do***entation stating that the meeting took place. I would also have those do***ents signed by all in attendance to this meeting whether they be big network execs or even the janitor who walked in to empty the trash. And I would not wait to file a lawsuit, that should have been done the day the show was first advertised.

John_Dunkel

That's very common here in LA. You steal an idea and claim it to be your own. That's how we roll in Hollywood. Always pitch an idea with a witness. Also when they don't return your phone calls... that's a huge sign, they don't wanna talk about it cause they probably stole the idea.

nastynorm

That program is pure trash.

bjc

I might be wrong but i heard a while ago that jersey shore was a show pitched or the idea came from vh1. They dident whant it. Thats when mtv picked it up. Sorry dude you will loose in court. You better make shure you have proof of your claim or they wil laugh at you in court.

press

I believe him- it happens ALL the time. I am a TV writer in LA, and a few years ago I pitched an idea to VH1. They said it wasn't aimed at their target market. Within a year, they came out with the SAME show, with even the same locations, with just a different name. I had the same thing happen to a friend at E! and she sued and won. They seriously do this all the time. S***bags.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments