TMZ Live

Ad Man Defends

Anti-Semitic Billboard

11/23/2011 12:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

112311_tmzlive

The guy who greenlit that "Christmas Quality, Hanukkah Pricing" billboard calls in -- Brian Gordan claims he had no idea Jewish people would be offended, and you gotta see what happens when we tell him ... we ain't buyin' it.

Plus, Congressman Aaron Schock joins us ... and wonders why Jimmy Fallon isn't catching more flack for his mean-spirited welcome to Michele Bachmann?

And Harvey takes a stand -- President Obama's turkey pardon is pure hypocrisy! What do you think?

TMZLive-Download-Podcast-Graphic

(3:40) Wodka Vodka puts up an arguably anti-Semitic billboard -- does it make it okay that guy behind it is Jewish?
(16:20) Jimmy Fallon's house band plays "Lyin' Ass Bitch" for Michele Bachmann's entrance -- wrong or funny?.
(18:30) Love or hate her -- Harvey says it was a cheap shot. But ... "lyin' ass bitch" is fun to say.
(20:30) Rep. Aaron Schock calls in -- he's ticked off about the "inappropriate" song and says an apology is in order.
(22:20) Schock says "lyin' ass bitch"!!!
(28:00) Brian Gordan -- the Jewish guy behind the vodka ad -- is on the phone ... and he doesn't think it's all that bad.
(31:00) Evan -- who's Jewish -- rips into Gordon. You gotta see this!
(37:50) Polygraph expert Dr. Edward Gelb explains how drinking affects the test.
(40:05) Harvey's crazy connection to Gelb -- involving O.J. Simpson!
(47:05) President Obama pardons a turkey -- which means a pissed off Harvey's going to rant about being a vegetarian.

Rockemknotty

Please fix!!! Im not sure about your idea of a minute but its been almost hours now. I need to see my TMZ live before work...Errrr

billy cema

From reading these posts, I'm getting the idea that people are nostalgic for the old days when racist comments were common. It's the old bullying thing where the aggressor is accusing their victim of being too sensitive. Usually, a bigger person who doesn't pick on their own size, age or ethnicity.
But they are too air-headed to realize that these comments, if not challenged, are like Topsy; they just grow and grow!
European Americans usually have no sensitivity to ill-suited comments about them. They aren't bullied like others, except when they are *gasp!* gay! Or when they're smaller in stature. But never hated because of their color.
Kudos to The Anti-Defamation League!

zew

When did you guys said something in defense of Islam everybody is kicking? Somewhat everybody thinks it is alright to s**t on Muslims.

danfantana

So Im watching TMZ from the 23rd on my Iphone right now. Not sure why I can*****ch it on my computer. Weird but just wanted to let people know who were wanting to watch the latest live show right now.

jwtravel

All of the outraged folks had to be told the title of the song. Only the band and their twitter followers (who were given a link to the album/artist so they would know the title) knew about it. It's a very obscure song that was NOT a hit or even a cult favorite when it was first released in the mid-80's. If not for twitter, only a few folks would have gotten their little snicker out of this while it was happening.

patty

thanx tmz it's working again - harvey needs to take a chill pill over the turkeys - if he wants to be mad, be mad at sarah palin who gave a turkey pardon at a turkey ranch with the workers butchering turkeys in the back ground!

iii22iii

Tmz`s fake Jackfaiths flash moobIE`ss YJINK Dtas ort/dox FAITH? come on now hollywood can`t sell faith own it or copyright it so they fake it as they do with all forms of communnuficational`ss dat linksTUP/dwn wireless.Christ bashing is sup2PO dah jesus feaks into bashin fake hollywood brookin knights ake fake war mongers for war bootys for 1%ers

FalasteenHorra786

I am a Muslim Palestinian and that ad is absolutely wrong. To have an argument about Zionism (which is against Jewish practice) or a general conversation about xyz is one thing...but to create an ad campaign focused on a stereotype that has haunted Jews for a very long time is wrong. I almost want to say it's even worse that he is Jewish and did this. I know Jews have very sharp senses of humor but this is a little too on the edge. Plus why didn't you guys mention the fact that it's a dog pictured with the yarmulke?????? I love doggies, but let's be honest, the conotation of "dog" is usually bad, as in, "he is a real dog" (a bad man)....plus it has the Jewish head-wear symbol on its head...I mean come on!!!! I can tell you this...if it were a dog or a pig or even a camel, with the kuffiyeh on and it said, "prices so good, you'll explode" I would be out of my mind furious and would petition for the ad to be brought down...or rip it down myself. The pain and history of others is NEVER something to exploit. ESPECIALLY coming from your own kind!!!!!!

falasteenhorra

Elvesse

Harvey, i did not vote on the billboard because I went to a jewish prep school in Encino where I was "schooled" on the problem. Originally, I read the "christmas" to connote generosity and the "channukah" to connote smart shopper. It could be said though as generous vs. cheap, which is offensive and why I did not vote above. It was hard as a shicksa (sp?) to survive that school but I TRULY believe jewish people to be THE MOST generous people and I am grateful every day for the experience because of it. I do think though the ad basically reads "Look like a big shot, but make a good deal!" And their other ads support that concept as well. But I do not support any kind of portrait of jews as in ****en's "Faigin", because it is a barbaric kind of scapegoating of the "other" in gentile society and believe me, I have met MANY, even a healthy MAJORITY of non-hebraic, european based christian american societies that are far MORE cheap and miserly, yet are not scapegoated but praised.

Elvesse

I thought the "Lionness Bitch" was a reference to how Bachman wears her hair like a lionness. Maybe it would have been better to sing the lyrics but if I were in the band I probably would have voted to NOT sing them. Maybe that is what made her feel tricked, but I think it was a good balance between comedy and commentary. People who say that never would have happened to Hillary Clinton, have a very short memory when it comes to the truth. Being involved in the political arena, a candidate can gain a lot of points by rolling with the punches, but they chose the wet blanket option. Oh well...

clair

So much for freedom of speech... the ad is funny, short and exactly what ads are about...by the way ADL actually gave the company free advertisment..The funny thing is how hosts ridicule the word "wodka" which is actually THE ORIGINAL wording, the right name of the drink. In Polish language "woda" (voda) means water and the name of this drink is "wodka" (reads; voodka), the English speaking people changed it. Why did they change it to vodka rather than voodka, I have no clue... Take for example last name like Kowalski , this is the right spelling (which comes from the Polish word Kowal / Blacksmith)...Americans say it "Kowalski" but it should be pronounced "Kovalski" ...Get it? Same with Nowak, right spelling, wrong pronunciation...So, wodka it is! Na zdrowie! To your health!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4