'Mythbusters'

Experiment Goes Wrong

Cannonball RIPS Through Homes

12/7/2011 12:55 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0_5v3oza67_1_a4xmbdpp
Two California families are lucky to be alive -- after a "Mythbusters" experiment went horribly awry yesterday ... sending a cannonball careening through their homes, leaving MASSIVE holes in its wake.

Sgt. JD Nelson from the Alameda County Sheriff's Department says hosts Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage were trying to figure out how effective a cannon is at firing non-cannonball objects ... but first, they had to test the cannonball itself.

The cannonball was supposed to land harmlessly in a nearby hill -- but something went wrong ... and the ball,  traveling at about 1000 ft/s, went over the hill bordering Camp Parks Military Firing Reservation, and into the neighboring town of Dublin, crashing through two separate houses before finally coming to rest ... inside someone's minivan.

The Discovery Channel show has been put on hold after the mishap, pending a full investigation. Luckily, no one was injured.

Thanks to San Francisco KTVU for the footage.

update_bar
7:30 AM PT: It's unclear how the experiment became derailed -- but a rep for Discovery tells TMZ, all proper safety protocol was observed. The rep adds, show producers are currently "assessing the situation and working with those whose property was affected."

Mike

I bet they will call this one PLAUSIBLE

USArmy

They can come to my house and do that as long as they buy me a new house. Glad no one was hurt.

L

Why the hell is a residential area located next to a Military Firing Reservation?

waffles

This experiment was not a failure. It just delivered totally unexpected data and repair bills. I'm sure all safety precautions were observed. These guys are always very emphatic about safety. And they always have outside experts usually from the military or law department to assist them with anything explosive. I'm happy nobody was hurt. I can't wait to see this episode. Considering it made the news, they are going to have to show it eventually. I just can't imagine what they did that would propel a six inch cannonball to go so far and to go through two houses and ricochet into a van. It just doesn't seem possible. I suspect there was a second cannon in the grassy knoll.

Sonya in Tx

Get the lawyers ASAP!!

OooooNooo!

Glad they weren't testing the homemade nuclear bomb myth. . .

nyc44th

I never watch the show but I see all the ads constantly (how can you avoid them?). Obviously they like to blow things up like little kids, I just hope they clean up the messes they make to the environment (I'm far from a tree hugger btw)

Mark

As the hosts themselves say...don't try this at home...they are the professionals. ummmmmm.....

L

Dude, Wow.

MP

I know this isn't funny, but I laughed. I'm glad nobody was hurt. I'm sure Discovery will take care of everything.

Lloyd

So apparently a cannonball fired from a cannon can travel through a cinderblock wall, through a house, hit another house and then destroy a minivan...

I can't imagine anything else that could be fired from a cannon and do that much damage. And if there is something... I don't think they should try it.

No further need for experimentation... I am going to call this one BUSTED. Jamie and Adam, do you agree?

OB

I used to like the show but now...I like it even more!

Greg Coker

Accidents do happen, quit hating a great show. I'm sure people will sue over this. Sad.

dave

i wish they would have killed someone

Kaffee

Somebody should go to jail--attempted murder. If it wasn't a TV show, it would be an act of terrorism. Really stupid!!!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments