NYU Professor

I Got Fired for

Giving James Franco a 'D'

12/19/2011 9:37 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1219_james_franco_santana_bn_doc_2
A former NYU professor claims he got the chop because he dared give James Franco a "D" -- this according to a new lawsuit.

José Angel Santana -- who taught Franco in his "Directing the Actor" class -- is now suing the University for his job back, claiming he was wrongfully terminated ... because he's an Hispanic man with the audacity to give Franco a low grade.

According to the lawsuit, Santana dropped the D on Franco for missing 12 of the 14 classes in the MFA course. No shocker, considering the pic TMZ posted back in 2009 ... showing Franco passed out at one of his Columbia classes.

1219_james_franco_EXWM_02When people found out that Santana gave Franco a D, Santana claims he suffered all sorts of public humiliation -- at the hands of James Franco ... and the University itself, which ultimately fired him ... something he claims would never have happened to a white professor.

According to Santana, other teachers played favorites with Franco, including fellow professor Jay Anania ... who Franco hired to write and direct the film "Shadows & Lies."

Santana groused, "In my opinion, they've turned the NYU graduate film degree into swag for James Franco's purposes, a possession, something you can buy."

Santana told the Post, “The university has done everything in its power to curry favor with James Franco.”

update_bar
10:28 AM PT: NYU claims it hasn't seen the papers but calls what has been reported about the lawsuit "ridiculous" -- adding, "It is regrettable and disappointing to see a faculty member -- former or otherwise -- discuss any student's grade for the purpose of his or her personal publicity."

Playing the RACE-CARD . . . . once again!

12 out of 14 missed classes gets you a "D" ??
I would've figured an "F"

3Storms

If NYU was even remotely racist they wouldn't have hirted a hispanic man to be a professor at such a erenowned university..
And that guy's BS race-bating destroys his credibility to mek.

jujubee

I know a couple of people who go to NYU and they said james franco is a total douche and he had actually gotten in trouble for texting in class and left bc he felt the professor "embarrassed" him.
if he is too busy to attend school then he shouldnt go, there's a lot of people who would love to take his spot and are more deserving of it. I'm surprised the school didn't just automatically withdraw him from the course, 12 out of 14 classes missed is really just pathetic.

Professor had enough merit (12 out of 14 missed classes) to his lawsuit.
Race does not factor into this equation.
Racist to play the RACE-CARD.

brown dynamite

Missing 12 of 14 classes warrants an F, not a D. If he didn't want or couldn't attend classes I know for a fact that his course can be taken ONLINE at other universities. I went to Standford and many people there barely show up to class, get failing grades, give their instructor low performance reports, and help get them fired. I don't believe it was a race thing, unless some students made it a point to bring it up at some point.

NYCGIRL

what a racist s***bag! I hope this professor never finds another job, he is a disgrace! His bigotry should never have entered a school like NYU in one of the most diverse places in the world! This man is disgusting!

Lisa

I believe the professor. This guy is working on dozens of projects (which he loves to brag about), and then has time to get Masters degree in multiple concentration at once. PULLLEEESSSE

Joe

Missing classes isn't an automatic reason to fail a class. I have an electrical engineering degree, but had to take a mechanical drafting class. I missed every class except the first and last, but turned in the homework and took the final. I got an "A". The professor understood that electrical engineers had higher priorities.

At NYU Franco was taking an acting related class and he is a respected professional actor. This cir****tances could be similar.

Rob

I was on the professor's side unitl he said, "something that would have never happenedc to a white professor".

Now I am NOT on his side. Blacks crying RAAAACIST at every problem they have makes me sick. Obama does it all the time too. If you are having a problem,deal with it like a man.. not a BLACK man...just a man.

Bryan Crain

Here's ARTINFO.com's version of the events. http://www.artinfo.com/news/story/754154/fired-nyu-film-professor-says-the-school-bent-over-for-james-franco

KellyinCA

If class attendance (or the lack thereof) was the sole basis for giving Franco the D, then the marking was unduly harsh and did not account for Franco's assignments adequately. The vast majority of university study is undertaken away from the lecture hall; it is quite possible to earn a high grade in a course without attending lectures, _especially_ if the same material is available through other sources and if the coursework is otherwise excellent. Graduate studies are about producing research, _not_ about making good little obedient students.

ManiacalZebra

I'd like to hear the university's explanation for the termination before making a decision. However, if Franco missed 12 of 14 classes, the D was deserved. I don't have enough evidence to say that the D caused the firing, though.

Steven McCain

Thats total BS if the guy got fired under Franco's dime. HE MISSED 12/14 CLASSES, HE DESERVES A FAIL NOT A D. Hope he gets his job back.

NYCGIRL

what a racist s***bag this professor is, I hope he loses everything, and never ever finds another job.