Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

ktbug

I HOPE THIS IS NOT TRUE BECAUSE THEY ARE MADE FOR EACH U can tell when they look at each other this may just be a bad time right now but they will be o.k.

themillieblog

Once again, TMZ was right!

Sarah

We want to know about their prenup!!! Fill us in Harvey.

Olivia

RUSSEL IS SOOOOOOOOOOO UGLY
KICK HIS ASS OUT.

sem

Women, see what happens when you cut your hair short? Don't ever cut off your hair! Guys don't like it! Seriously!!

JUstin

Another (Bad News) Friday Media dump !! Jeez , Celebrities are starting to act like Politicians now .. They dump " embarrassing news" on Fridays..BTW , I think it's time we forgive Kim kardashian now . I mean , it's been 4 to 5 divorces ago..lol

Adelice2009

aww=[

cosmkdbree

I love you Katy. Smiles.

cam

I personally thought Katy deserved better, he's such a idiot!

Truth

OHHHH NOOO!!! *SHOCK!* *GASP!!* *WTF!!!*... SRUSLY, NOT A F*CKING SURPRISE. IT WAS A MATCH MADE IN HELL. #TRUTH!!

Jazzie

Everyone files "irreconcilable differences" so that is not the real reason. That is like saying someone died of heart failure. Come on! Don't try to hook us by saying there is a reason when we really don't know it. We may never know it!

TheVolleyballGod

Don't fall for it these 2 silly gooses were never really married in the first place its just 2 bit actors trying to generate publicity to make them relevant and boost their profile, its the same crap that whore Kim Kardashian pulled with her fake marriage

me

Great my plans are working perfectly next thing you know Katy will be mine!

Missy

I wonder why celebs even bother to get married. They never seem to care to make it work and divorce within a few years. Pretty pathetic...

American Patriot

I heard a rumor that she was queer.