Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

jetfanglo

oh nooooo........too bad.......seemed like a match

wiz

there's 32 days in october now?

Fozzie

other then great sex these two had nothing in common. They only lasted this long becuase she was on tour 90% of their marriage.

dman

That's sad. I liked them as a couple.

LisaL

Well that was quick. Wonder who screwed the pooch on this one.

Tracy

Awww...wtf...There are certain couplkes you route for in Hollywood and this was one of my faves

Justin

So you say they are NOT getting a divorce then 1 story later and suddenly they are divorcing. You guys have been taking way too much bull**** as actual fact lately, I'm starting to think this is the Jewish MTO.

Katie, hit me up.

anonymous

October 32? There are only 31 days in October... proofread before posting your articles.

Niamh

Awhhh no they seemed so good together..seemed like it was coming 4 a long time tho:(

Christy

Only one problem with this story....Oct. 32nd DOESNT exist! =)

tyler

how can anyone divorce a set of titties like that?

wiz

*nevermind they fixed it

Eriden07

This really sux!! I really LOVE both of them.

Pat Fox

TMZ looks so ******* stupid reporting that there are no plans for divorce 2 stories below and now they break this. All hear say, what else do you guys want to make up?

s0urpatch575

I think we all saw this coming!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments