Katy Perry Divorce

Singer Was Concerned About

Upsetting Religious Parents

12/31/2011 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand
Katy Perry
WANTED Russell Brand to file the court papers in their divorce ... because she didn't want to upset her religious parents ... sources connected to the former couple tell TMZ.

We're told ... Katy and Russell knew the relationship was on the rocks a couple of months ago -- but didn't want to give up on the marriage without making a concerted effort to work things out.

But the effort fell flat ... with both sides feeling "it just wasn't there."

We're told both Katy and Russell were on board with the divorce a few weeks ago -- but they didn't want to be in town when the papers were filed ... so he went back to England and she booked it to Hawaii.

Since Katy's parents are evangelical Christians, we're told she didn't want to be the one to "officially" end the marriage by filing the docs ... since she was raised to believe divorce is wrong.

After he filed the docs, Russell released a statement Friday insisting the two will "remain friends."

Stay tuned.

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Sonja

What a ding bat.. how do her parents feel about sex videos with an alien and squirting cream out of a cup cake bra while singing about teen age wet dreams? This chick only brings up religion when she needs it. So her husbands files so she can walk away all clean and sin free.. God I can't stand her.

comchase

These the same sources you told us said they were not getting divorced?

UPYOURS

And her parents will NEVER know about their daughter's deception.......

robthomaseyes

She married a whorey drug abuser like Russell Brand but she's worried about what her parents think? LMAO.

Arma Diller

Now that I think about.

Wonder if her having sex with an alien had something to do with it.

After all....making Nephilim babies can put a strain on a marriage.

dboz555

Dear Russell Brand:

You are an idiot!!! You are actually divorcing one of the hottest chicks that ever lived; Katie Perry. I would have made it work, but then again I am not a boring British jack ass like yourself.

Sincerely,

Every Man In America

P.S. If you could tell Katy I’m available I would appreciate it.

Mumra the Ever Living

She doesn't want to upset her parents with a divorce, but it's OK to show Dad her prodigious Tatas in her Hawaiian photo shoot. What a joke.

Janet

Obviously tabloids don't care all that much about the accuracy of what they report as long as they mention the names of the people who get us to look at their stories. So being wrong matters less than giving us something new to read.
I wish that Katy and Russell had cared enough about each other and marriage to actually work at it for more than 14 months. But obviously they are married to their careers, so the relationship to each other was always coming in a distant second in the race for their time. Too bad, they are an eccentric enough combination to be interesting. But it's hard to imagine either of them having any trouble moving on, if they haven't already.
The guy Katy was swimming with looked an awful lot like Russell, and Russell doesn't care that much what women look like - he likes them all!
But if Katy didn't want to disappoint her parents, why not work a lot harder at the commitment she supposedly made?

Liz

A true Christian would not write a tell all book about their daughter and profit from doing so. She's 27 years old and needs to act like an adult and tell her parents to mind their own business.

BDoll

Grow up Katy. You are an adult & if your decisions in life disappoint your folks you need to face that, not be a scared baby about it. Plus just because he filed it doesn't make a difference. Vows & the meaning or marriage means nothing to people these days its sad & ridiculous. I'm glad I've never been married & don't plan on it for a long time if ever.

Mary

He is such a dirtbag, I never understood this weird union. I never heard of him until he married Katie Perry. When I have seen him, I do not find him funny at all so I hope he disappears from the scuzzy slimy rock he crawled out of. Ew how could she ever sleep with someone who looks like a strung out street person? Let alone, a known whore monger.

When they got married in India I remember thinking what a bull**** publicity stunt, these people are not a match.

Thanks for reading the list of fake celebrity marriages on TMZ live! The list shows how there have been hundreds of fake Hollywood marriages long before this one.

ufos8mycow

I'm soooo glad she is getting away from this U.S. hating freak.
He bad mouths the United States on live TV and then ruins this poor girl's reputation. I hope he gets run over by a truck hauling pigs.

johnny

Unexpected! Stunning! Unbelievable! Shocking!

Lemonade

DM reports Russell wanted Katy to tone down the partying lifestyle, hanging out with lowlifes like Rhianna etc,....imagine THAT!

Zero respect here for either of them.

e33

Religion: The root of all Evil.

These problems wouldn't exist if religion would just go away already.