« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

In Serious Condition

1/21/2012 3:33 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Joe Paterno
Joe Paterno, the legendary former coach at Penn State University, has suffered health complications and is in serious condition ... this according to a rep for the Paterno family.

The spokesperson released a statement, saying in part, "Over the last few days Joe Paterno has experienced further health complications. His doctors have now characterized his status as serious."

His son Jay tweeted, "I appreciate the support & prayers. Joe is continuing to fight."

Another son, Scott, responded to a report that JoePa had passed, tweeting, "Dad is alive but in serious condition. We continue to ask for your prayers and privacy during this time."

Onward State, a student-run newspaper on campus, reported Saturday he had been taken off his respirator. The Citizens Voice, a newspaper in nearby Wilkes-Barre, PA, reported Paterno's wife Sue summoned close friends and longtime staff members to State College hospital.

Paterno was the coach at Penn State for 46 years, until he was famously fired by the school last November following the sexual abuse allegations against his former assistant coach, Jerry Sandusky.

update_bar
Paterno died Sunday morning, the family announced. He was 85.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Julies

This man likely did a lot of good in his lifetime. Not ensuring a child molester was stopped is the only place he failed, as far as we know. That was a big mistake, one regret he must feel deeply. I don't know how to fully comprehend JPa's lack of action, but Sandusky fooled many. Jerry is the ultimate villain in this sad story. F.U.,Sandusky. YOU shall bear the weight of this.

Duane Harris

Penn State should feel terrible! They basically killed Paterno once they FIRED him from coaching football. I really think a lot of people would have done the same thing he did, he reported it to his boss and he should have been cleared of anything else. Reamember, if it was false claim then he could have been FIRED for starting rumors. I think football was his life and he really didn't want to deal with anything else but football and now since Penn State FIRED him from what he loves, it physically killing him. Shame on Penn State, hope you feel better about yourselves. Oh I forgot the two who FIRED him quit the other day. NICE!!! Who is going to take the blame for killing Paterno?

Annie

Geez most of you people can not see the whole picture here. Paterno is a man who has dedicated most of his life to coaching football at one school.

He was told a story, the day after the incident took place. He DID report it to his superiors. He is being hung for being told a story. It is a sad sad situation.

loungecat

How could Paterno even look at Sandusky, knowing he'd raped a child?? No, Paterno failed in his duties, big time. Penn State officials AND Paterno are responsible for children being brutalized after it was reported. To hell with Paterno, Penn State officials and the child rapist they didn't stop.

Adrian1212

joe paterno deserves it he is a morally corrupt vulgar sick human being hope the victims are rejoicing right now and i hope jerry sandusky goes to hell with him and let them rot for there lack of maturity and incapability to act on a serious event fast enough.

Steinberg

You guys are treating Paterno like he's Sandusky.

Godspeed Paterno.

Denver

When Bear Bryant retired, he was gone in less than a year. With the mess that Joe Pa went through and was fired, he unfortunately will be gone soon. When these legends who did what they loved for decades, once it was over, the body shuts down. RIP.

RonBurgundy

Tic Toc......

I just hope his dumb wife doesn't try to blame the University for killing him...

HIS CONSCIENCE KILLED HIM.......!

If you rally behind JoPa, you are rallying for pedophiles.

Find a new hero to worship dummies...this guy is all done!

franky knuckles

i bet my all money on it he is definately using terminal illness to avoid criminal charges !!!!!! and for those who think sandouchsky acted alone.. gtfoh !!! this **** is been going on for years (franklin schandal), and the worst part is that most of them involved are still doing it to this day but they operate more slick with it (dyncorp)..

franky knuckles

i bet my ALL MONEY on it he's using this terminal illness to avoid criminal charges! and all those that think sandouchsky was acting alone, wake the **** up! These kind of pedophiles have clubs because it's such a niche..this **** has been going on for years (franklin schandal) and the worst thing is they are STILL doing it trough other channels..(dyncorp)

franky knuckles

and michael jackson was never sexually interested in children, everyone knows that! that's like comparing a sexual predator like sandouchsky with bill clinton for gettin his weener sucked..
MJ is the purest form of an artist, he never had a childhood and has always been surrounded by a moneyhungry sadistic father and leeches of all kinds actin' as his friends.. he loves and respected children and always hoped to relive his childhood by having them around him. but if you do your research it was predictable someone in his camp was gonna kill him ..

RonBurgundy

After his death it would be cool if the doctor revealed he probably could have done more for Joey, but instead chose to keep quiet and allow the cancer to kill him.

Sandusky deserves death, and JoeyPa deserves this ending.

"Oh but he was a good coach".... Really? A good coach would never put kids in harms way. He was worse than that, he knew they were in harms way- yet did nothing to ensure their safety. This makes him a coward. His wife knew too, guaranteed.

Mr. Bate

Just another smoker who got what he deserved. I bet the cancer has spread and
it's only a matter of time.

char

Grew up watching college football with my father and grandfather. We were opponents of Paterno. And I will say he is one of the greatest college football coaches. Joe Paterno is 87 years old and it's possible when all the testimony comes in under oath in a court of law instead of the dribs and drabs of rumors as to what he knew or didn't know or what he did or didn't do. I will decide. I won't convict him until then. At 87 years old I think it's possible that he did not even think of such a thing could happen between males much less men and females. Paterno's generation and my grandfathers did not discuss sex between even married couples unlike the way it is today. Paterno as I'm sure his wife would attest was married to football. I don't think he ever thought anything like that could or would happen if you look at his age alone my grandfather certainly wouldn't have. Penn State probably had to fire him to stop the media onslaught on their campus and the lawsuits if they kept him and maybe they knew of his health condition. I'm not making excuses for him but I would prefer before I convict Paterno I will wait for the trial when I hear from everyone in a court of law and sworn testimony under oath.

michael

Good- Thats what he gets for covering up for a tree jumper. I hope he's in alot of pain and along death