« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

Westboro Baptist Church

to Picket His Funeral

1/22/2012 11:56 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Joe PaternoMargie Phelps, daughter of Pastor Fred Phelps, announced on Twitter today the Westboro Baptist Church would be picketing the funeral of former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno.

Paterno passed away earlier today from lung cancer. He was 85.

Last October, Westboro announced they would picket the funeral of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. They also picketed the funeral of Michael Jackson.

The church is known for their extreme views against homosexuality. Based on other tweets (see below), Paterno's involvement in the Jerry Sandusky sexual abuse scandal is what drew their attention.

MargiePhelps tweet: Penn State Penn Rape rings in Joe Paterno's ears in hell. He partook of sin for fame & fortune. Worth NOTHING to him now.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

JW

Would someone please tell me that this "church" and I laughingly use that word, does not receive tax exempt status. TMZ, Perez Hilton, Huffington....I can go on and on, but PLEASE!!! ban the WBC from your sites, after all, it is you who give them exactly what they want every time you post anything pertaining to their activities. You fuel their fires that makes every person on the planet sick to their stomach.

Canadasux

All of the present former and current members of Penn State's offensive- and defensive lines better show up at J.P.'s funeral, so they can take out these @$$CLOWN Westboro picketers enmass! What a disgrace these "MOFO" picketers are!

Mimi

Why do these people call themselves Baptists? Aren't Baptists Christians? Apparently these Baptists are not. This is like the FLDS calling themselves Mormons.

Eileen

How can you be religious and show up and hurt the family and friends in grief!

jbeez

have respect for the dead. whatever he did, someone else higher than self righteous picketers will judge him.

lump

theres no way penn st. students are gonna sit back and let this church picket there leader.

Dan

The pastor of this church is a former Democrat candidate for congress and is a big lefty. Something the media fails to bring up. This is NOT a conservative group!

openminded_momma

I find interesting is that the lines are drawn in the sand regarding him. With majority of sports enthusiasts on one side and most of all others on the other side. That to me is very sad commentary of our society.

JLB

Westboro Baptist Church sounds like an angry church to consider picketting someone's funeral. I think the whole this completely pointless, heartless and disrespectful to Paterno's family who is innocent in this situation. Paterno is gone and it is completely out of Westboro's hands. Let his family have their goodbyes and mourn in peace. If they are angry at Penn State for dropping the ball then go to the campus and picket or set up camp in front of Sandusky's home.

logan

I will speak my mind on what I know. I live in State College area and JoePa was made a scape goat from the very beginning of this scandel. They (the Penn State Board) took an elderly man who gave his life and money to this college and drug him through the mud. Now all the local t.v. stations are calling him a legend. There are alot more people who should have been fired before Joe. The college sure didn't have any trouble accepting him annual check a few weeks ago. Penn State needs to clean house completely, not just fire a man who gave his time, money, heart and finally his life to what he loved. We will all miss you JoePa and there are many of us out there who know that what was done to you was wrong in so very many ways.
Now as fas as this so called church goes---I am sure my God has special plans for you. My God is a God of love not hate. Here's hoping many will turn out to block you and your kind!!!!!!

Ghettold Tryin

The irony being the Worthless Baptist Church are committing sin themselves by their very own actions. Hate will seal their fate!

I am Spartacus

i think the guy is a fraud to but to picket his funeral is beyond disrespectful. People need to remember Sandusky was the rapist. Did Joe do enough? No. But to picket his funeral is beyond ridiculous.

Tyler

Are these the same guys who protested dead soldiers funerals?

fran

Is there not a law against harassment of other people..isnt that what the Westboro people are doing ..why is a judge charging people for defending themselves and their loved ones against them.I think the Westboro people are really horrible.

Tazz

Wow. Hell must have frozen over. I actually agree with their tweet!