Struggling Soap Actor

Commits Suicide After

Euthanizing Beloved Dog

1/28/2012 5:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Nick Santino and his beloved dog
A soap actor killed himself this week on his 47th birthday ... hours after he was forced to put his beloved dog to sleep under pressure from his Manhattan condo.

According to the NY Post the building had a ban on pit-bulls, but Nick Santino's dog had been grandfathered in ... which didn't sit well with some of the neighbors. Some claimed the dog was loud and aggressive, but others said building management was just harassing Santino ... trying to force him to get rid of the dog.

Santino had Rocco put to sleep on Tuesday -- for some reason he felt that was his only option.

According to the paper, a tearful Santino brought dog treats to the doorman and said, "Give these to the other dogs. Rocco is no more."

Later that day Santino left a suicide note that read, "Today I betrayed my best friend and put down my best friend ... Rocco trusted me and I failed him. He didn't deserve this."

Santino -- who has appeared on "All My Children" and "The Guiding Light" -- OD'd on pills early the next morning.

Rocco was cremated and friends told the Post Santino will be too.

Rolm

What a stupid clown he could have given the dog away or he could have moved. I piss on his sole

Patty Duval

Its Stupid People who don't know **** about Pit Bulls all they can do is Judge the Breed and Not really get to know what a sweet and loving breed of dog they are For People to Judge a dog by its breed you are all a piece of **** Wake Up Ass Holes Stop Judging The Breed And Get To Know It Better You Will Be Surprised What You Learn. I Hope them Ass Holes In That Apartment Building Is Happy For What They Had done To This Poor Man And His Beloved Dog. I Hope You All ROT IN HELL!

Lekili

Pitbulls get a bad rap due to the idiots that breed them for fighting and create killers out of these wonderful animals. Their owners should be "put down" not the animal. I have a pit mix and she is the most loving dog around, she protects my family with unconditional love.

Patty Duval

loudsilience

In the ’70s they blamed Dobermans, in the ’80s they blamed German shepards, in the ’90s they blamed the Rottweiler. Now they blame the pit bull.~ Cesar Milan so when are they going to blame the owner for being a *ssh*le and abusing the animal to be aggressive?

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

There are always more pit bulls than any other breed at our shelter. It's a sad story.

DubstepDistribution

Pitbulls are monsters!

Elle

Like any dog, pits can be aggressive or sweet. It depends on how they're raised. Bully breeds like pits, rots, dobermans, chows, sharpeis can be protective but so can chihuahuas, poms, and yappy breeds. Ridiculous to oppose a dog just because of its heritage. It means next to nothing. Training, love, and affection make all the difference. Shame on those neighbors.

Elle

Ann Combs

animals are not born aggressive-society has "labeled" alot of them as such. Hope those people in this persons condo building have horrible lives for what made him do! No one deserves to lose their beloved pet this way. Shame on all of you!

nosy_parker

What's wrong with the world? Help each other.

April Anderson

This is a tragic story, yes indeed but Pit Bulls are not more aggressive than other dogs. Like Valentina said, to much work & high engery. That's why this breed isn't for everyone. Myself I have two pit bull (females) & two smaller dogs (females) & ALL get along just fine. Pit Bulls are loyal & very devoted to their family. I couldn't imagine life without them

Elle

Shataqua

I have a pitbull an they get a bad rap bcuz ppl don't train them rite...I have a 5/4 yr. Old and he loves them an has never been aggressive towards them...Bull Massive, Rottweilers, Boxers, etc. All have the same temper an u never c them get punished. Watch pitbulls and parolees or even Shorty's show on animal planet...its shows u how pitbulls are friendly, helpful, can b ur bestfriend...all ppl care about is there aggressiveness...everyone doesn't want a toy poodle we want real dogs...stand up for the pitbulls there great dogs

Keel0ver

It's ridiculous to say that pitbulls are more aggressive. I have a pit and my brother has a pit and they are the biggest sissy's I've ever seen. We also have a rottweiler and he's the sweetest, most gentle dog in the world. Dogs act as you raise them. This breed can be the sweetest dogs ever IF YOU RAISE THEM AS SUCH.