« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Lucky Giants Fan

I Bet on a Safety, Won $50k

... And It's All Going to CHARITY

2/6/2012 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jona Rechnitz
Just when you wanted to hate the guy for winning $50,000 on a freak Super Bowl bet -- Giants fan Jona Rechnitz tells TMZ, he's donating every last cent to multiple charities ... INCLUDING one of Tom Brady's choice.

In case you didn't know, Jona -- who runs a successful real estate company in New York -- hit the JACKPOT yesterday, betting $1,000 on the Giants to score the first points in the big game with a safety. The odds were 50 to 1.

0206_ticket_subasset
Jona tells us, he plans to donate $5,000 to Tom's charity of choice -- in the hopes Tom and the Pats will match it -- and $5,000 to the charities of choice for the Giants defensive linemen who made the safety play. Jona also wants to take Tom out for an all-expenses-paid falafel dinner.

As for the rest, Jona says he plans to divide up the balance after taxes ... and donate it to a bunch of charities benefiting the less fortunate.

Jona says he only makes one bet a year -- on the Super Bowl -- and this year, it finally paid off.

0817_poker_shark_footer_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

RD

The guys an idiot. He either makes way too much money or has a gambling problem. I'll go with #2.

Robbie

It's sad how cynical people are. This guy is doing something good and all I've seen on here so far are rude comments about him.

john calabassas

To bet $1000 on a safety for the first score was a ballsy move- I would keep every dime

DL

Article says he's a successful NY real estate company, so I'd go with your #1. What I find odd is that it was only 50:1 odds on the 1st scoring play being a safety by NY. I would have thought the odds would be much higher. Wonder how many other folks had that bet?

Hello is anybody in there?

Very unselfish of him! Rare to see people like that now a days.

CAVEMANpedro

I have a problem believing this man doesn't have a gambling problem or just doesn't watch much football. Putting that kind of money on a bet that had 50/1 odds that should have been much greater.

Seldombinlaid

Very genorous of this gentleman.

I know him

He is full of it!! He gambles all the time! He works for his dad who supports him.

tj

A good jewish guy, nice to see him donating the money back to organazations which can definitley use it.

Lisa S

Kinda restores faith in youth of America.....good for him and kudos for
all uncynical, tax paying, hard working people who think beyond themselves
and care about the less fortunate.

Fat Jesus

I doubt Brady will take him up on that falafel dinner offer.

Can't Believe it!!!

So nice to see his face on here. Met him years ago and he helped me out when I needed it without me even asking him. He is a true role model and someone who you can trust. GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Nostradamus

He didn't get decent odds, should be more like 75-1, at least.

Ryan Braun

The charity part is shady, my sources tell me that he already bought his buddies shoes and dinner with the money. He already gives charity and is just alloting this money as his charity for the year. Shady

Bud

For once a GREAT story!
Helluva guy in my book!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments