'Idol' High School Dropout

I'm Going Back to School!

2/15/2012 4:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

American Idol castoff Travis Orlando is going back to school.
"American Idol" castoff Travis Orlando -- who dropped out of high school last year to focus on singing -- is going back to school ... and TMZ has learned, it's all thanks to an "Idol" camera operator.

Travis was voted off the show last week -- and sources tell TMZ, after he gave his goodbye interview, the camerawoman inspired him to go back to school and get his GED.

In case you missed Travis' audition -- the 18-year-old detailed his turbulent home life in the Bronx, claiming his mother walked out on him and his cancer-stricken father. They have since been evicted from their apartment and now live in a shelter.

But sources tell us, the camerawoman who helped conduct Travis' final interview told him not to give up on his education -- saying, "You have lost so much. You don’t want to lose even more by not finishing school."

We're told Travis took her words to heart -- and has since enrolled in the Adult Learning Center at Lehman College in the Bronx. His classes -- which will eventually earn him his GED -- start next month.

update_bar
We're told Travis' dad is currently in remission.

HumanNature

I'M GLAD THAT YOU ARE GOING BACK TO SCHOOL, TRAVIS!!!!

STAY STRONG AND KEEP YOUR HEAD HELD HIGH!!!!

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
- Buddha

London Vik

Good for him :)

Majestik

Why doesn't Idol focus on the talent instead of the backgrounds. They are drumming up sympathy and the public is the one voting for these people. I hate seeing real talent voted off for someone with a sob story.

Aside from that, I hope Travis succeeds and does well in his schooling. Then he can focus on his singing. I wish many prayers for his father.

Cognizant _illiberal

After you learn basic math the technology of graphic calculators will get you by , watch a lot of educational t.v and you will be fine. The kids in the special needs class that had no physical deformities just dislexia or add all graduated with the regular class and i have seen 1 of them in a college nursing program and they graduated and are now an RN they just didn't want to put the effort in to highschool they got the diploma just like everyone else.

Hisjules

test

Louise

Good for him for taking the words of that camera woman to heart!! It doesn't mean he has to give up his music. :)

JC

Why doesn't Idol or even TMZ start a charity/fund to help out him and his father?

K

Does he have to pay for this program? If so, is there anywhere to donate money towards his tuition? I'm graduate student myself, I don't have a lot to donate but I could spare a few bucks to help him stay in school.

X.

Good for him--it's never too late to obtain an education, especially in today's world. Best of luck to him.

Sonja

Good for him, obviously his 'sob story' didn't keep him on the show. Usually the classes are free since they are part of most states public education system. The test here in MA is $65 and if you have to retake any parts of the test because you don't pass the first time it's $15 per section you need to retest. All in all very affordable.

bj brigham

CONGRATULATIONS>>>IM SO HAPPY THAT YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT PATH TO A PROSPEROUS LIFE>>GETTING A GED WILL GET YOU STARTED. i was pregnant at 17 and i got my real estate license at 40years of age and made a lot of money..i had 2 children to raise and did a lot of different jobs,which helped a lot..you are good looking and seem to now be ready to get your life on track..good luck

arale norimaki

Big Whoop, Wanna Fight About It?

tgrfan42069

lol dropped out of school to pretty much auditin for idol.what a moron

Sonja

His father has cancer and they had been evicted.. no cash, sick single parent. How does that make him a moron, I guess he'll be able to really help his family financially with that minimum wage job he'll get thanks to that high school diploma. The kid went for an opportunity that could change his life, and help his entire family if he did well... how is that being a moron? SMH

Jay

So, it's big deal that this kid is going to get his GED, wow, yippee, hooray, that will be an accomplishment! Good grief, stupid of him to drop out to begin with, Idol or not. People always applaud mediocrity is it because they are stupid too and are HS dropouts? I worked my way through college by myself and got my Bachelor's then my Masters now my Doctorate, and people think this kid getting his GED is a big deal? Spare me, please.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments