« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jeremy Lin

ESPN Apologizes Over Offensive Headline

2/18/2012 6:40 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

ESPN Headline Chink In the Armor
ESPN issued an apology last night after a racially insensitive headline about New York Knicks star guard Jeremy Lin appeared on their mobile site.

The headline, "Chink In the Armor," appeared only on mobile browsers, the network said, and only between the hours of 2:30 AM ET and 3:05 AM ET.

ESPN posted an apology on their media site, which read in part, "We are conducting a complete review of our cross-platform editorial procedures and are determining appropriate disciplinary action to ensure this does not happen again. We regret and apologize for this mistake."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

Michael Chen

Everyone has to checkout www.linning.com! It's the Jeremy Lin version of Tebowing!

wangmeiling

By the way Jeremy Lin is not Korean as somebody wrote in his comments. He is Chinese of Taiwnese parentage. My father is Chinese from Jinmen Taiwan and we speak Min-nan dialect and Mandarin. We are Chinese. Please don't call us ch... it is definitely not nice rude racist and bully. Is USA a country of racist people?

CelebJustice

Glad to hear this idiot was fired.

Derka

I don't get it. Is it because chickens are yellow?? ESPN you are hilarious. NOT.

Derka

O. so I get it now. The expression is "Kink in the Armor".

Hey ESPN, I'm chinese and I'm here to inform you that you left out the letter C!!!!!!!!!!!

Morgan Chiu

That's okay. In other parts of the world, we call white people names too. Just hope you don't travel internationally.

Joann Lee

This sort of headline promotes and encourages behaviors displayed by Afganistan soldiers against Danny Chen. I hope this ugly part of our great nation gets eradicated. There is no place for such racial slurs targeting any ethnic group in today's America and the world. Shame on the person(s) who is responsible!! May God continue to bless Jeremy Lin and all those who have been victims of this type of ugly treatment by the idiots and the heartless of our society.

USA

I always called the *****s in my class "Guerrilla with the glasses", not big deal

Justin

10 bucks says it was some pissed off black guy who's sad that "his people" aren't the focus of the NBA right now. A$$holes

BeHonest

Did not know ESPN is such a racist company! There goes my subscription.

Anthony

Thanks to ESPN for firing that racist idiot! Asians are the future of NBA! Watch out for more!

Dave

Hey, as long as it's not at my expense, it's cool, haha :)

scarpy

I don't know what all the fuss is about, but I'm going to honest. That remark "chink" is very common among whites.
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but to an average white. we can't tell they're chinese, korean or whatever... We see slanted eyes and it's chink.
It's joke to us.

Scooter

OMG Everyone is offended over everything today. We're a nation of wimps!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7