Davy Jones’ Death

Revs Up Monkeemobile Mystery

2/29/2012 5:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

what the hell happened to the infamous Monkeemobile
The sudden death of Davy Jones today has re-opened the greatest mystery in television history -- what the hell happened to the infamous Monkeemobile??? And TMZ has the answer ...

For those of you under 55 ... the Monkeemobile is the modified Pontiac GTO made famous on the 1960s Monkees TV show -- and the second Davy died ... it became THE hot topic in the Monkees fan world.

Famed car customizer George Barris -- who built the car for the show -- tells TMZ, he's been getting calls non-stop ever since Davy passed away ... bombarded with questions like, “Where is the car? Is it still available? Can we see it? Can we take a photo with it?”

But there's one problem ... George doesn't have the car anymore -- he sold it at auction back in 2008 for roughly $500,000 ... to a Michigan man by the name of Mel Gutherie.

And Mel tells us, he's always open to fans taking pictures with the car -- but they better be willing to travel to the Midwest ... because he doesn't feel comfortable driving it very far. In fact, he had to have it TRUCKED to a Davy Jones concert in 2010, where Davy signed the hood (above).

Fun fact -- in approximately 40 years, the car has only racked up 8,000 miles.

0301_monkees_footer

S D M F

The sold again this year in Scottsdale, Arizona at the Barrett Jackson car auction!

Itoldu

That was the STUPIDIST headline I've ever read.
WTF are you thinking????????

Frank

You have the age group wrong. I'm 48 and remember the monkees quite well from childhood.

myopinion

Looking at that car brings back memories.

RIP Davey

myopinion

I am under 47 and I remember the Monkees...Davy was my first crush I would run to the tv when that show came on to watch Davy.

RIP Davy

crazy christmas pie

Don Cornillius, Whitney Houston, now Davey Jones--what's that they say about it happening in threes--all music legions in their own right.

Criss

I'm decades younger than 55 and I did not need explained what the Monkeemobile is!

keepinitrealincali

To be on the safe side (being as you're[TMZ] going to beat this story to death [no pun intended])when making reference to fan base age, how about "For anyone under the age of 50." I'm 51 and eventhough though I was still young enough to wear the PJs with the built-in feet, I remember quite well watching "The Monkees" on TV back in the day.;)

wisey

You definitely don't have to be 55 to know the monkeemobile, they reran the show constantly in the 80s.

Id expect a classy site like tmz to know that.

CountryGal

Um MTV used to play the Monkees episodes when I was younger and I know all about them and I always loved Davy. He was even on the Brady Bunch one time which plays reruns everyday. Go to Twitter TMZ and you'll see many stars of all ages upset about this.

Delaware D

Thats a cool story! I was actually thinking of the car earlier today after I read about Davy. Kudos, TMZ. RIP Davy.

CountryGal

Oh yeah check out his abusive wife and make sure she didn't do anything to him.

Pierce Aero One

We used to ride our bikes as kids, down to George Barris Studios to see all the cars he made. The Batmobile, the MunsterMobile, James Dean's other Porche, which George set up for him. Etc. He was always nice to us.
One correction for you. Dean Jefferies created the MonkeyMobile. George merely bought it at some point and in having it in his showroom, confusion has followed ever since.

Joe Bob

It was at the Texas State Fair Oct 2011 for the OU-Texas game, with the batmobile and munster car. Pay to take a pic in it. Pretty cool really.

static

July 11 1967 The Monkees played Charlotte NC with opening act Jimi Hendrix, My dad took Me my older sister and her friends to see the Monkees they all loved Davey.
When Hendrix came out I had NFI what was happening ( I was 6 at the time) but it seemed to really bother Dad my sister and her friends so it was cool with me.
Anyway RIP Davey.