'Sugar, Sugar' Singer

FLOORED by Davy's Death --

He Was in 'Perfect Health'

3/1/2012 1:05 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ron Dante and Davy Jones photographed together.
The lead singer of the 60s band The Archies -- famous for singles like "Sugar, Sugar" -- is completely shocked by Davy Jones' death ... telling TMZ, Davy was in "perfect health" just months before his death.

66-year-old Ron Dante -- whose group released several hits around the same time as The Monkees -- tells us, he was great friends with Davy ... and even spoke to him a few months ago, when Davy appeared to be doing just fine.

Dante tells us, he and Davy had been in discussions to do a show together not too long ago ... and possibly even cut a few records -- but those plans never materialized.

Dante adds, Davy "will be missed by millions."

Fun fact: The Monkees and the The Archies shared the same manager ... Don Kirshner.

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer

sonny

1st

My Big Salami

Marcia Brady is very upset about the death of Davy. She has taken it very hard!.....RIP Davy

coco

note to self - Do not trust the medical opinion of The Archies.

rick

Ron Dante is just stating how Davy Jones condition was in at the tim eof their last talk.In no way,did he announce he was a medical examiner for Davy.Yet when Whitney Houston spiraled out of control that lead to her death,everyone had an opinion.Yet no one questioned them.We're all guilty of saying,"I had just seen him last night.He was looking fine".

serafina

I guess Ron had xray vision and could see inside of Davy's body to know he was in perfect health. If that was true, then he would've seen the clogged arteries.

Rose Simpson

I'm pretty sure the lead singer was Andy Kim.

CountryGal

He ran and took care of himself. I still hope they are checking out his 30 something abusive wife. I was watching Mickey Dolenz on Piers Morgan last night and he mentioned how bad he felt for the kids and said not a word about the little young gold digger Davy was married too.

parlayer

Elephants live longer! could have named himself that instead.

barb

Funner Fact: The Monkees passed on "Sugar Sugar", hence the creation of the Archies.

RIP Davy. Very sad.

LittleBIt

Just because somebody "looks" ok, does not mean they are in good health. God Bless U Davey, you were a huge part of my childhood. Rest in peace my friend.

Gretel

I saw a lot of news reports on Davy Jones' passing. My mother was a Monkees fan from back in the day and I remember hearing their albums and liking them a lot. Yesterday when they were showing clips of him back in the day when he had all the young girls in love with him I was really taken with how much he had that kind of charm that Beiber has now ... not saying Bieber charms me,but just sayin' he's got that young girl swooning thing going on ... When I mentioned that to my mother she said he was more like Bieber on steroids with his adulation. I guess that's why so many people are saddened by his passing. That, and he seemed like a nice guy

minnietx

Loved these guys back in the day. I had posters on my wall of the Monkees and of course a single poster with Davy, he was so cute every girl loved him!!

JoJo

Just a technical clarification.. the Archies were never a band. "Sugar, Sugar" was produced by Kirshner. Ron Dante, formally of the Cuff Links as well as the Detergents(a song parody act) was a studio musician who was tapped to sing most of the vocals for the Archies cartoon television show. They didn't tour, they never appeared on Bandstand. It was just a bunch of studio musicians providing voices for a make-believe (cartoon) band. TMZ still Rocks!

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

Perfect health? Apparently not.

Bill North

Andy Kim wrote and sang "Sugar, Sugar" not this dude...

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments