Jay-Z & Kanye West

Settle Copyright Infringement Lawsuit

3/11/2012 10:19 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0311_jay_z_kany_ex_getty
Jay-Z and Kanye West have to be feeling a little more joyful than usual -- because the hit-making duo has settled a federal lawsuit over their song "The Joy" ... TMZ has learned.

The "Watch the Throne" rappers were sued last October by Syl Johnson for using an unauthorized sample of his song "Different Strokes." Johnson had claimed Kanye tried to get the song cleared for his solo album, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy," but couldn't get the deal done in time.

So when the sample then appeared on "WTT," Johnson filed the lawsuit.

But in legal docs filed in Illinois federal court this week, the lawsuit was dismissed because the two sides reached a settlement ... though no further details were made available.

Johnson is no stranger to copyright infringement cases; he's previously sued Michael Jackson, Jefferson Airplane and Cypress Hill.

HamptonsHarry

Can't stand either of those idiots.

Max

Thanks goodness. Made my weekend. I was really worried about the welfare of these two fine gentlemen.

writenow

Syl Johnson's attorney must love him. Kinda reminds me of Righthaven

Seldombinlaid

crickets

Mikey

Didn't know you could copyright sh!t.

cass

Goes to show you that these 'so called great producers and musicians' are nothing but rip-off artists. Always stealing others music to try and glorify themselves as 'original' when things couldn't be further from the truth.

P.S. - I can't stand Kanye anyways. Jay-Z is pretty cool.

Bongo

Two worthless c-rappers.

Cricket

Geez.

static

Good for Mr. Johnson!

JugEars McKenyan Sr..

AP got a transcript of the negotiations: "You sto my stuff dogg.... Naw you dun sto my stuff kneeegro!!!// Yo momma!// I'z sue yo azzz brutha right back to Harlem dogg!! // I sue yo azzz back mutha&_())_++ // OH YEA? I SEE YO AZZZ ON JUDGE MAFFIS HOLMES!!

psychicruth

isn't syl johnson sly stone

3Storms

RAPPERS STEAL FROM NON-RAP MUSICIANS? WELL COLOR ME SURPRISED!!!

parlayer

I was black before you, you can't be black i got a copyright!!! KANYE's Logic!!

Sloane

only reason that they settled the suit is to keep the proof out of the courts and out of the public eye
proof that they did steal it
bet there are typical "you can't talk about it anymore now" strings attatched to the heafty settlement that JZ & KW had to pay out - they don't want the public catching on--but anyone with a brain has already figured it out...they were guilty as accused

HRH Prince Michael

Indeed, be not further deceived: It's a "Freaky Deaky World".....NOT, a "Hard Knock Life". ALL, in DUE time.

20Twelve:
Daniel Twelve;1 is HERE, Zechariah Twelve;8 is NOW,
St. Mark Twelve;36 is NOW, Psalm2;012 is NOW,
The Kingdom strikes BACK, ALL for The Greater Glory of The True and Living YAHWEH!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments