« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Peyton Manning

Move Over, Tim Tebow

I'm Officially a Bronco!!!

3/20/2012 12:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Peyton Manning holds his jersey. He is officially a Denver Bronco.
Peyton Manning
is officially a Denver Bronco -- which means Tim Tebow's out of a job.

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen just made the announcement alongside Broncos legend John Elway -- a deal worth a reported $96 million over 5 years, making Peyton the highest paid player in the NFL.

John Elway made it clear during the announcement ... the Broncos are NOT a Super Bowl caliber team with Tim Tebow.

Peyton -- who will wear #18 on the team -- said he's unsure about Tim Tebow's future ... but claimed, if Tebow stays with the Broncos next year, "I'm going to be the best teammate I can be."

Elway said a Tebow trade hasn't been discussed with other teams yet -- but admitted it's very possible the Broncos will get rid of him. Elway speculated Tebow was "disappointed" by the announcement -- but Tebow never said it to him. According to Elway, Tebow was very understanding about the Broncos' decision.

The #18 is significant in Broncos history -- it once belonged to famed Broncos QB Frank Tripucka in the 1960s ... and retired with him. Peyton said Frank personally asked Peyton to resurrect his number, so the Broncs UN-RETIRED it just for PM.

Now that the acquisition's official -- the Broncos will be trying to trade Tebow ... though it's unclear where the 24-year-old will be headed.

Several teams have reportedly been in discussions about snagging Tebow -- who led the Broncos on a tumultuous ride through the playoffs last season -- including the Jacksonville Jaguars, Green Bay Packers, Miami Dolphins, and New York Jets.

0109_tebow_tebowing_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

honesty

I like Manning. Tebow gets on my nerves. Go Manning!

NFL Fan

I'm not a Broncos fan. I'm not really on the Tebow bandwagon, but seriously, what has Manning done lately? It's been over half a decade since he won one. ONE. He has one as many superbowls as Trent Dilfer.

But for some reason this good-ole-boy is the golden child of the NFL. I can understand he is a likable person. He's classy, polite, well spoken and avoids controversy.

But I have to say, %*!@ you Denver for abandoning Tim Tebow. I know the old "It's just business" excuse is the common reaction, but how about some loyalty to a guy who injected some life into what had become an uninteresting NFL franchise.

John Elway, karma will take its toll. If Manning goes out there and sustains a career-ending injury within the first few games of the season, there will be many of us out here laughing with the middle finger.

Sunset Strip Dealer

Good move Denver, Tebonics was never an NFL quarterback. They were winning because of defense. Religious freaks who have no clue about football please go away.

Patti

Sorry, but he's not worth it. His time is long past. I'm shocked the owners would do something careless like that.

patty

not huge teebow fan, but wow they are screwing him, as a newer QB he gets them to the superbowl, and they pay him back by hiring manning who - lets face it was let go cause he's getting to old - they really screwed him

jdub

Good! Tebow is seriously overrated.

Canadasux

The Packers - my team, GO PACK! - have a history of being notoriously cheap in contract negotiations. In my opinion, that's why they didn't win the last Super Bowl. They gave up some outstanding defensive players in the off-season, because the team didn't want to pay them fairly. So, will the Packers get Tebow - truly, only if it's God's will.

Amber

He's insane, I mean I understand the love of the game, but why risk it?!?!? All it will take is one bad hit/fall on that neck and that's it for him an dI am not just talking about football... His choice, but I think once again that he is insane for not retiring and moving on...

God-Of-Lyf

Looking forward to the Broncos being the worse team in the NFL next year. I bet PM sits out half the season anyways. I'm glad I won't have to hear his God awful name around here anymore.

KnuckleDragger

Tebow's been praying that his team would win more games. Looks like he got his wish.

Denver

Denver has been looking for a new Elway since he retired. Tebow did not have the skills yet and they were smart enough to see past the hype and go after Manning. Yes his best years are behind him, but he will keep butts in the seats, sell jerseys and everyone will be watching. I wish the man luck in his new town. Bring oxygen with you Peyton!

Jim

This aint gonna work out too well for Denver. Tebow is Gods Quarterback. If you trade Tebow, you traded God, so don't be suprized if you don't win a game and Manning gets hurt.

RealityBites

It will be interesting when he gets one good hit and his career is over and they don't have a good backup. Dumb move Denver.

Floridagirl

Peyton is being paid too much money! He should retire. How much more money does he need? When his neck gives out, the Broncos will wish they had held on to TBow.

Khoyboy

What a joke. Denver has the most popular athlete in America and trades him for somebody that won't last a season in Denver. The salary is disgusing. Denver looks like a bunch of fools.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments