Jason Russell

Naked Meltdown Blamed on

'Brief Reactive Psychosis'

3/21/2012 7:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0321_jason_russell_BN_01
Jason Russell
's family has a statement on the "Kony 2012" founder's health ... claiming Russell was diagnosed with "brief reactive psychosis" following his naked meltdown ... and will remain hospitalized for several weeks.

The statement reads, "We would, again, like to make it clear that Jason's incident was in no way the result of drugs or alcohol in his body. The preliminary diagnosis he received is called brief reactive psychosis, an acute state brought on by extreme exhaustion, stress and dehydration."

The statement continues, "Though new to us, the doctors say this is a common experience given the great mental, emotional and physical shock his body has gone through in these last two weeks. Even for us, it's hard to understand the sudden transition from relative anonymity to worldwide attention - both raves and ridicules, in a matter of days."

TMZ posted the video last week ... showing a naked Russell ranting maniacally and slapping the pavement before cops detained him on a 5150 psychiatric hold last week.

Jason's family insists ... Russell "will get better" ... saying, "He is, and will remain, under hospital care for a number of weeks; and after that, the recovery process could take months before he is fully able to step back into his role with Invisible Children."

"During that time, we will focus not on a speedy recovery, but a thorough one."

Jodi

Lets see...."brief reactive psychosis" yet he will be in the hospital for many weeks and it will take him months to recover. Doesn't sound "brief" to me. I still say someone slipped Jason a hallucinogenic drug in his food/drink to discredit him. I do not believe this mental breakdown "just happened" because of the fame he was receiving from the video.

J.C.

Geeze, I'm going to make sure I get plenty of sleep and drink lots of water.

matt

It's a publicity stunt, not drugs, not exhaustion.

pam

While some may snicker WHICH BRINGS FORTH PROOF WHY MENTAL HEALTH DOES NOT GET A BREAK FOR MONEY...AND CELEBRITY FUNDING , UNLIKE AIDS AND AUTISM. THOSE TWO DISEASES HAVE , IN 20 YRS., MADE IT FURTHER IN RESEARCH THAN MENTAL DISORDERS HAVE IN 100 YRS. WHAT HE SUFFERS FROM IS TRUE. A PSYCHOTIC BREAK CAN BE BROUGHT ON BY MANY THINGS, ASK JANE PAULY, ROSIE DONNELL AND SO MANY MORE.AND YET THEY HIDE BECAUSE OF YOUR LAUGHTER?, ASK A DOCTOR ABOUT MENTAL ILLNESS AND THEN SAY SOMETHING THAT MAKES SENSE FOR IT IS A DISEASE THAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. AFTER MY DAUGHTER TOLD ME ABOUT THIS I FELT COMPELLED TO WRITE AND I AM GLAD I DID. LET ME HOPE IF YOU ARE WITH CHILD OR YOUR WIFE IS, THIS CHILD YOU MADE DOES NOT SUFFER THE GROWING NUMBERS OF MENTAL ILLNESS (OVER 10 MILLION) DUE TO OVERWORK, SUBSTANCE ABUSE,OR GOD GIVEN. GOD BLESS THOSE WHO CAN SUFFER AT ANYTIME WITH THIS.

Jesse

I wonder if I can go out naked and smack my junk around on a busy street corner and and just say I had a brief reactive psychosis and see if will not get arrested. I will let you know this eveing how it all worked out

patty

the arrogance of this family, it is insulting the lies they throw out and expect us to believe - if they aren't going to admit the truth, then just don't say any thing - holier than though liars

beeGee

in the unedited video it can be clearly seen that jason has a bunch of those kony bracelets tied around his testicles; so maybe this incident was a form of protest or, a combination of protest & homosexual dehydration?

pam

DO NOT FORGET ALCOHOL IS A DRUG ALSO, YET I HEAR NOT ONE WORD ABOUT IT.IT CONTRIBUTES TO MORE DEATHS AND REHAB STINTS THAN ANY OTHER DRUG, BEING A DOCTOR AND SAYING THIS TO YOU SILLY CHILDREN GIVES ME HOPE YOU WILL GROW UP OR WE ARE IN FOR A HOPELESS AMERICA.

Jim

What a smokin', full blown idiot. Who is this cat anyway? What does he do other than make a fool out of himself?

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

Okay, so he has witnessed atrocities and was fine with that. But mass attention to his cause breaks him? I'm just not buying what their selling. If what some people are saying is to be believed, what broke him (or "broke" him, because it could be an act) is the scrutinizing of his organization and money it brings in.

mike

Is that what you call a bad meth trip now?

Rolm

Aww so nice only white rich people get this disease. If he was black he would be 6 feet under with 20 bullet holes by the cops at the seen.

Deesker

Do these idiots really expect us to believe this? I think aliens had something to do with his complete meltdown.

AliiG

He was so Extremely Exhausted, and so Extremely Dehydrated that he could jump up and down while slamming his hands on the sidewalk?!?! Shouldn't he have passed out somewhere instead?

Drowdie

Bipolar disorder type I. Psychotic mania. The truth shall set you free.