Mary J. Blige

Burger King Chicken Ad

NOT What I Expected

4/4/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0404_mary_j_blige_burger_king_ex

Mary J. Blige
says she never signed off on the controversial fried chicken ad that she shot for Burger King -- at least not the version that was blasted on the Internet.

Mary J. tells TMZ, “I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence. Unfortunately, that's not what was happening in that clip."

Mary also says, "I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out."

The spot -- which Burger King has since yanked from its YouTube site -- features Mary singing about a new crispy chicken wrap. The ad drew tons of criticism on Twitter for playing off a stereotype about African-Americans and chicken.

Burger King confirms the ad was released prematurely "before all of the licensing and final approvals were obtained." The fast food giant also says, "We would like to apologize to Mary J. and all of her fans for airing an ad that was not final."

Burger King says the final approved version will be released soon.

jason

This is RIDICULOUS! I looked at the commercial and there was absolutely NOTHING offensive! It was a commercial. Color did not even come into my mind at first glance. Burger King nor Mary do not owe anyone an apology! Get your heads out of the sand about color!

David

You cant even hardly look at a black anymore without the race card being slammed down on the table. Where is all this headed?

HermesHeiress

Really People!!!....It's a freakin Chicken Commercial....I swear I am saving all my money to buy a spot on Virgin intergalactic space ship..then I will just seek assylum on another panet.This place we call earth is screwed.

hymnself

I don't get the..., negative. It's not that serious.

nikki

What about Whites and pork. The s*** of the earth

heroman2000

first of all, I'M BLACK AND I AM PROUD and I LOVE CHICKEN, but i don't understand what's the big fuss about this commercial? come on ppl mjb is singing in a commercial about ingredients in a chicken wrap and ppl are trippin over it. everybody in the WORLD loves chicken, so can someone please explain what's the offense here.

Nick

People now adays are LOOKING for reasons to pull the race card. Should the italian singer in the pasta commercials get mad. How about the little mexican girl who says they should make the taco shells flat. its a damn fast food commercial. The best part is, i dont think mary j blige gave a crap until the media started in about it then she had to act offended otherwise she would be made out to be insensitive to black issue. calm the hell down people

diva20

Mary need to sit it down she embarass herself doing a bk commercial. Mary is it that bad that you have to do chicken wrap commercials

Caroline

Other than the fact that the comercial sucks, I really didn't get why it was so offensive. It's a 30 sec song...there wasn't even time to get offensive! Now that's just ridiculous. But then again, Mary J. Blige is a total sellout...she should've kept her mouth shut and just taken the dirty chicken money they gave her for this crap.

DENISE

I see NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT COMMERCIAL!!!

Boomers

People didn't care when Flavor Flav opened up his chicken restaurants. I ate there once, found a stopwatch in my mash potatoes.

Bud

Maybe because her music sucks as bad as BK's food!

Debbie

I'm black --- I don't find the commercial offensive! What's wrong with it??? Come on, people! Get a life! I thought I was going to see her with two drum sticks in her hand eating them voraciously in between words of her song! I like Mary J's role in the commercial...ain't nuttin' wrong wid' it! (There isn't anything wrong with it!)

J

Hahahaha. Now THIS is funny.

tim

She still sang about chicken, its not like she sung about a smoothie or whopper, so she knew what she was getting herself into before it aired online…she kills me trying to be so righteous…knowing she wanted that check...